Pilots: Scanner Interference Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

NAVCAN

we DO use CDMA phones while in the air on both dash 8 and challenger aircraft. To my knowledge, we have never had any type of altitude disruptions due to a cell phone Tx being on in the cockpit. Personally, I don't go in the flight checking aircraft ( i do the ground work), but i call the technologists on the plane on a routine basis, and have never had a report of interference, and the calls seem clear and stable.

Refering to the front end of the VOR Rx, the typical rejection ratio to the nearest channel has to be greater than 80db. In other words, it'll take a signal 80dB stronger than the VOR/ILS signal to affect it.

Cowman

I'd have more concern for the human element. How many security people/flight attendants are going to know what a scanner is and that it can't hurt anything? How many who might know they're harmless are going to wonder just why you would have such a thing on an airplane.

I havn't been on a flight in something like 10 years so I may be off, but I'd think in the post 9/11 environment you may be asking for trouble.

N

N_Jay

Cowman said:
I'd have more concern for the human element. How many security people/flight attendants are going to know what a scanner is and that it can't hurt anything? How many who might know they're harmless are going to wonder just why you would have such a thing on an airplane.

I havn't been on a flight in something like 10 years so I may be off, but I'd think in the post 9/11 environment you may be asking for trouble.
This has been well discussed.

There is no change in what you can bring on board, and scanners are OK.
There is no change in what you can NOT use on board, and scanners are NOT OK.

Why do people connect TSA and 911 with this issue.

petrolero

CrewRest said:
Fly United. They are the only airline to provide cocpit communications on the aircraft audio entertainment system

Doug Anderson
KG4QCR

x2 Love that.

Some Frontier flights offer ATC as well, but the last one I was on that claimed to offer it, it didn't work. So I just watched DirecTV instead. :D

And on the topic... I have done exactly what was described (covertly and pre-9/11). It is no different safety-wise than operating, say, an iPod or any other device that does not transmit RF energy. I found the reception to be quite poor, however. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that I was inside a giant steel/aluminum tube and all the antennae are on the exterior. Not worth the trouble.

Last edited:
N

N_Jay

petrolero said:
. . . . I have done exactly what was described (covertly and pre-9/11). It is no different safety-wise than operating, say, an iPod or any other device that does not transmit RF energy. . . .

Back on topic.

How did you determine that? :roll: :roll: :roll:

elk2370bruce

This topic has been beaten to death over many different threads and for several years. The fact is, regardless of your reasons, personal rationale, self-justification, or the potential legitimacy (questionable!) of any of the foregoing, don't expect the aircrew to allow you to use your scanner in the aircraft. They have the right to do so and they will exercise that right as a matter of their policies.

I noticed Amazon.com and some other places are selling these amazing high tech entertainment devices that have been approved on all airline flights and have been proven not to interfere with any flight instrumentation. They're called books. You can get little ones that fit on your pocket or big ones with high definition pictures in them. Just incredible! Here is the really amazing part. In all likelihood there is a big building where you live called a “Public Library” where they'll let you borrow a few of these for your trip for FREE! All you have to do is return them when you get back! I'm telling you it's stomp down amazing it is.

Sweet maria are we a bunch of pre-schoolers who can't sit quietly in a seat for a couple of hours without being entertained by some electronic pacifier?

Gilligan

Database Admin
Declared_Hostile said:
Sweet maria are we a bunch of pre-schoolers who can't sit quietly in a seat for a couple of hours without being entertained by some electronic pacifier?
I understand your comment, but realize that this discussion has nothing to do with being entertained -- if it were we may be discussing cd players and dvds. Scanning is a hobby interest and well, the fact is that we monitors like to know what's going on around us. I can sit and read all I want at home, but the amount of time I am able to spend in the close proximity of airlines and their operations is limited to the time spent on or near the airplane. I'm not arguing the point of bringing a scanner onto a plane to listen (in violation of FAA rules), but I'm making the point that this discussion has nothing to do with entertainment and everything to do with our hobby.

Gilligan said:
I understand your comment, but realize that this discussion has nothing to do with being entertained -- if it were we may be discussing cd players and dvds. Scanning is a hobby interest and well, the fact is that we monitors like to know what's going on around us. I can sit and read all I want at home, but the amount of time I am able to spend in the close proximity of airlines and their operations is limited to the time spent on or near the airplane. I'm not arguing the point of bringing a scanner onto a plane to listen (in violation of FAA rules), but I'm making the point that this discussion has nothing to do with entertainment and everything to do with our hobby.

That's my point as well there too. I'm as much of a radio junkie as anyone but I realize there is a time and a place and there is also a time and place to
Put.
It.
Away.
And.
Shut.
It.
Off.
The airplane is one of those times. It's not like some addiction you have to run off to the bathroom with your rig and instead of cooking up and spiking your vein you have to plug in an earphone and tune into air traffic control. It is after all just a hobby and an interest and make no mistake it is entertainment. It is entertainment or we wouldn't be doing it.

Look there's the grip everyone grab on.

prcguy

Cell phone use on board a commercial aircraft is obviously out due to FCC ban but the original post was about scanners. The bottom line is, the pilot has the last word on this. I have flown one of the major carriers with a friend who was the pilot and fellow hamster and he gives permission for scanners, GPS and amateur HT reception in flight but not during takeoff or landings. He understands the (small) potential for interference and he is technical enough to know that approved laptops emit more crud than non approved police scanners and other communications equipment. Take your scanner with you and ask the pilot to grant permission during the flight. If the pilot is not accessible, ask the stewardess to forward your request to the pilot. You have nothing to loose if you are not breaking any other rules and present your request in a cheerful manner.
prcguy

N

N_Jay

prcguy said:
. . . . .. The bottom line is, the pilot has the last word on this. . . . . . .

Do a search on this topic.

The CORRECT information has been posted MANY times.

In the US, the AIR CARRIER (Airline) not the Pilot has the last word.

garys

Premium Subscriber
True, but the airlines almost always leave the final decision up to the pilot in cases where they don't have an outright ban on in flight use of RF generating electronics.

I've always wondered about these threads when they pop up. Sure, there's a 99.9% chance that nothing bad will happen. However, if it does, chances are the guy who was too smart to follow the rules and insisted on using his scanner or other device will be among those killed in a crash. Self preservation would seem to be more important than entertainment.

Gary

N

N_Jay

garys said:
True, but the airlines almost always leave the final decision up to the pilot in cases where they don't have an outright ban on in flight use of RF generating electronics.

If you check the airline magazines, most DO have a prohibition to RECEIVERS and TRANSMITTERS.

I am fairly sure scanner fall under the RECEIVER category.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Most do, and in those cases the pilot has no discretion. However a couple leave it up to the pilot. I think Delta is one, but I'm not sure.

Gary

elk2370bruce

So, forget listening to the ****house lawyers here and elsewhere. Airline policy says scanners are a no-no. Forget what you think is your right in the matter: simply, you HAVE NO RIGHTS in this matter. Forget the amateur protests and shenanagans with the flight crew. Forget the self justifications and feigned outrage when the answer is no. All that will hapen is that you'll get tossed from your flight and have some unpleasant discussions with prosecutors and angry guys in blue suits. Is it worth it? Just pack the damned thing away in your luggage. Forget about it until the next time this useless topic surfaces. Take it from those of us who spend a lot of time in the air(both domestically and internationally). Why get the rep as a wiseass with the airlines? Try a book if you get bored that easily.

Yokoshibu

N jay in regards to who has the last word... if you dont follow the pilot in commands instructions I think you will have a bad day... it is up to the PIC regardless of airline policy. Many pilots have to think on their feet in many different situations and they have to represent that airlines best interest because if they dont they get canned. Remeber it's the pilot who decides if he is going to fly the plane and he can refuse to fly with passengers he has told not to play with scanners who say "I can do whatever I want your airline says so"

N

N_Jay

Yokoshibu said:
N jay in regards to who has the last word... if you dont follow the pilot in commands instructions I think you will have a bad day... it is up to the PIC regardless of airline policy. Many pilots have to think on their feet in many different situations and they have to represent that airlines best interest because if they dont they get canned. Remeber it's the pilot who decides if he is going to fly the plane and he can refuse to fly with passengers he has told not to play with scanners who say "I can do whatever I want your airline says so"

I was actually agreeing with you.

IF the airline says its OK, then the Pilot can give you permission, but if the airline says NO, then the pilot has no say.

Most airlines say no!, so it is typically NOT up to the pilot.

AE5C

CrewRest said:
Fly United. They are the only airline to provide cocpit communications on the aircraft audio entertainment system

Doug Anderson
KG4QCR

Having been a passenger, on a United flight, listening to ATC, that had an equipment problem... I can tell you that they cut the ATC right off to the seats in the Cabin.

Status
Not open for further replies.