Pinellas Fire Dispatch Areas

Status
Not open for further replies.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
Fairly new in town, but thanks to RR I've managed to program the main talkgroups for Pinellas Fire Dispatch.

Now can anyone tell me where I can go to find out which stations in Pinellas generally operate on which tactical talkgroups (or, alternatively, which tactical talkgroups cover which general areas of the county)???

Thanks in advance,
-JK

kny2xb

I haven't been listening too much lately, but I've noticed that in general, the fire-tac groups that are being used are Bravo, Echo, and Golf.

I don't know how dispatch assigns the tacs to a call or area, or if the computer does it.

Hopefully someone has that info for you.

tampabaynews

Premium Subscriber
1-A Dispatch
1-B North tactical
1-C Secondary major
1-D
1-E Primary major
1-F
1-G South tactical
1-H
1-I
1-J
1-K Admin

The tactical channel the call is working on is always announced during dispatch and is under dispatcher discretion.

Typically, north county calls are on 1-B and south calls on 1-G. However, that's not always the case. If its slow, typically overnight, you will only see one tac channel being used. If it is busy, they will put calls regardless of location on whatever tactical channel has the lightest load.

Structure fires, collapses, marine rescues, HazMat, aircraft emergencies, major crashes etc. are typically on 1-E or 1-C if its occupied. The other channels aren't used much outside of severe weather. The low priority channels used for training and talkaround most of the time but I have seen them used during severe or tropical weather.

That CAD link provided also has a link to the stations/grids list. The county has consolidated numbering for stations. Station 1 is St. Pete and for the most part, the station numbers run in order all the way to Station 70 in Tarpon Springs. It makes it easy to figure out where the stations are and what city.

Last edited:
I will expand on what "...news" said. Pinellas county is not like other counties in that a specific town does not have its own tac channel likewise a structure fire will NOT always use 1D. The best thing to do is scan all of the channels as well as refer to the online CAD website, which tell you what channel the call is on. As far as the assigning of calls to channels. It is done by the 911 CAD system based on the call type and the channel load. The main dispatcher basically can approve or change the assigned channel, but generally doesn't change it, as the CAD usually knows best.
FYI... Before you ask, there is no specific reason for the channels that are used often and not used often, just how it is!!!!

ngel

ngel

Over the past few years due to fire dispatch also doing EMD call taking now, there are fewer channel operators.

Most calls are handled on Tac channel B or G, there is no geographical way they assign the talkgroups anymore, they assign them based on call load, so St pete could be on B or G it just depends on the call load of the channels.

All structure fire calls should be on fire Tac E unless there is already a fire call working on that channel, then it will go to B , G or sometimes C

They do not assign it by north , south etc... anymore.

As of right now ..........R4, E30 , S29 , R33 are on Tac B which used to be north county only

nasa806

Premium Subscriber
Over the past few years due to fire dispatch also doing EMD call taking now, there are fewer channel operators.

Most calls are handled on Tac channel B or G, there is no geographical way they assign the talkgroups anymore, they assign them based on call load, so St pete could be on B or G it just depends on the call load of the channels.

All structure fire calls should be on fire Tac E unless there is already a fire call working on that channel, then it will go to B , G or sometimes C

They do not assign it by north , south etc... anymore.

As of right now ..........R4, E30 , S29 , R33 are on Tac B which used to be north county only
You are correct tac channels are assigned as needed. No more south or north.

Homeboys-Scanna

Banned
If there's a dispatch trainee working one of the radio channels, they might put a south county call on B (or north county on G) to give the trainee a chance to work a big call. Years ago, I thought mid-county calls went on E?

Status
Not open for further replies.