Pistol Radio DXing Case - August 2023

pb_lonny

I have recently had a need to find a suitable way to carry my radios while still providing them with a good level of protection. As I am also taking my "daily carry" kit with me more, I was struggling to keep all of this together and have it easy to grab for when I want to undertake a portable DXing session.
Recently, I was talking to a work colleague about this and he asked if I had considered a pistol case, they are large enough in width and height but also have a low enough depth profile to still be able to fit this in my backpack. I spent some time on eBay looking at some options and decided on this case for $29.00.

I have cut the foam to allow my AR-1780 to sit down, this also allows me to stand it up for use, as seen in the photo below. I can also fit my second radio, earphones, batteries and my log sheet sit behind the foam in the lid.

Overall, I am very pleased with how well this case has come out, I am able to carry and store everything I need for portable sessions. It is also small enough to fit in my backpack. For under $30, it provides a great level of protection. The best feature is that I can now easily split my kit, taking either the whole kit or just my "daily carry" kit if that is all I want to carry.

While this case was designed for ultralight DXing the same ideas could be used for amateur radio, radio scanning or any other radio storage need.

More Photos: Pistol Radio DXing Case - August 2023

monitorboy

Premium Subscriber
I have recently had a need to find a suitable way to carry my radios while still providing them with a good level of protection. As I am also taking my "daily carry" kit with me more, I was struggling to keep all of this together and have it easy to grab for when I want to undertake a portable DXing session.
Recently, I was talking to a work colleague about this and he asked if I had considered a pistol case, they are large enough in width and height but also have a low enough depth profile to still be able to fit this in my backpack. I spent some time on eBay looking at some options and decided on this case for $29.00.

I have cut the foam to allow my AR-1780 to sit down, this also allows me to stand it up for use, as seen in the photo below. I can also fit my second radio, earphones, batteries and my log sheet sit behind the foam in the lid.

Overall, I am very pleased with how well this case has come out, I am able to carry and store everything I need for portable sessions. It is also small enough to fit in my backpack. For under $30, it provides a great level of protection. The best feature is that I can now easily split my kit, taking either the whole kit or just my "daily carry" kit if that is all I want to carry.

While this case was designed for ultralight DXing the same ideas could be used for amateur radio, radio scanning or any other radio storage need.

More Photos: Pistol Radio DXing Case - August 2023
good idea

bearcatrp

Have been using pistol cases for past 2 years to transport my handheld radios. Works great for protecting the radios. There was a discussion on this awhile back somewhere on the forum.

wenzeslaus

a hardshell case is great for protection, but I'd be wary of thieves. they see that and they're going to want it.

the urethane foam might turn plastics into weird colors after a while.

I wrap a radio in cloth and stuff it in a small zippered bag of just the right size for the radio. adequate protection and takes up less space.

wenzeslaus

Tecsun H-501x ABS Moulded and Splashproof Hard Carry Case – Tecsun Radios Australia

Tecsun-Hardcase-1-scaled.jpg