PL-880 Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I just purchased a PL-880 Tecsun radio. I need to learn how to get marine weather on it. Instructions were too limited for me to understand how to get the correct station. I am looking for the (weather fax). when I type in 162.400 I get 16240.00 I cannot figure out how to get the decimal in the correct place. I am on SW LSB. A little help would be nice. Not even sure if I have this in the correct forum topic. Please excuse if not and maybe just place it in the correct one.

Thank You in advance, Dan

MDScanFan

I am confused by what you are trying to listen to. Are you trying to listen to the VHF NOAA weather broadcasts that at 162.400 MHz, 162.425, etc? The PL-880 does not cover those frequencies. It only covers up to 30 MHz plus the FM broadcast band. It does not cover anything above 108 MHz. Aside from the FM broadcast band, all frequencies entered are in kHz not MHz. So 16240 is in kHz and it is equivalent to 16.240 MHz.

Well I just want to get the fax weather for off shore. I am in ND at the moment and wanted to get it setup before I head out. I know nothing about doing this only what I see on You Tube but they never show you how to set the station. I have the program to convert it to a usable fax on my laptop. I have the cable to send the fax to the laptop. I just don't know how to get the fax on the radio.

W8WCA

You will need to use SSB (I would use USB) to tune in the Frequency that your WeFax you want to is on
Take a look around here to see what frequencies and locations are where you will be:
)

It is not an easy or quick thing to do when just starting and it usually does much better on a Desktop SW Radio
(None are made any more but there are lots of good HF RIgs for Ham Radio that are general coverage radios too
But give it a try!

Thanks, I got a couple of stations to stay, but no fax. learning little by little. Is there a general station in the US used for testing? Hard to get anything in ND. Still learning the freq vs the station. You just cycle through the freq to get the best reception once you have the station entered?
Still going through all the info everyone sent.

Status
Not open for further replies.