Placer County ?'s

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWtoSFO

A couple of questions about a couple of different agencies in Placer;

I scan while I'm at work (in Roseville) and I get Rocklin PD crystal clear, but not the FD. Why? They are dispatched from the same comm center. It sounds like its coming from 3 counties away. Even if they are at the same incident, PD is clear and FD is barely audible.

After Roseville PD units are done with a traffic stop, they say they are Code 8 US. What does US mean? There's something else I've heard with a code 8, but I don't remember right now.

kma371

QRT
NWtoSFO said:
I scan while I'm at work (in Roseville) and I get Rocklin PD crystal clear, but not the FD. Why? They are dispatched from the same comm center. It sounds like its coming from 3 counties away. Even if they are at the same incident, PD is clear and FD is barely audible.

The antennas are probably in different locations. One is closer to you (police) the other is farther or obstructed from your listening location (fire)

I actually hear Rocklin Fire quite well in all area's, which can be somewhat cumbersome at my home dept. seeing as we are on the same output freq. In any event, and please don't think I'm trying to insult your intelligence at all, because I am not by any means. Do you have any, or the correct PL for Rocklin? I say this, because my dept. (Dixon) about 40 miles away is on the same freq. We recently switched from a directional antenna (facing west), to an omni on our tower and I can hear us reasonably well in Roseville, and beyond. There are other departments in norcal on the same freq. that every so often I pick up as well. I guess even a sillier question would be to make sure you have the right "output" frequency programed also. It's these silly things that have gotten me on a few occasions as well. If all the above are good, then you may just be in a blind spot. Rocklins towers on the FCC database are both shot off the main dispatch center, however they do have a different secondary transmitter than PD. I don't know how much of an issue this is though. I do know that often law enforcement tends to have greater coverage because of the potentials for travel outside their normal service area. As far as your Roseville PD question, I'm not sure. I always remembered a Code 8 as being a burglar alarm. (audible Code 8, etc.). I don't generally listen to PD much though unless something is going on nearby. Anyway, good luck!

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Rocklin Fire 154.145

I am in Fair Oaks and pick up both Rocklin agencies crystal clear. I think the suggestion that you might be listening to "repeater input" instead of repeater output is a good one. You should be listening to 154.145 for Rocklin Fire. I do not have a CT programmed, so I should also be picking up Dixon, but haven't from home.

NWtoSFO

I have Rocklin FD programmed in on 154.145. I guess it just might be in a blind spot from the transmitter.

Station81FirstAlarm: you have insulted my intelligence ;), or what's left of it. With that said, I actually meant 10-8 US, not code-8.

Haha. Believe me, with so much knowledge that floats around these boards, I am but mere plankton in this ocean. I'll have to listen to Roseville PD a bit to see if I can figure it out. Off the top of my head, I would think its some kind of disposition code. That being a code that the officer provides dispatch to advise them the outcome of the stop or incident. Just a guess though for now.

Sac916

NWtoSFO said:
That's correct. I've not heard any other agency use "U-S" after a 10-8.

I'm certain it still represents a disposition code.
Some agencies have a suffix at the end of their codes to represent the dispostion.

just made up examples
10-8 a = advised CVC violation
10-8 w = advised of warrant
10-8 O = advised options

I've heard several agencies use this kind of disposition codes. Agencies with MDTs often have similar disposition codes when they clear out their call, not normally voiced over the radio.

What does U-S mean? I'm sure it'll require asking somebody close to Rocklin or ex-Rocklin PD.

kma371

QRT
Sometimes, officers say things like "show us 10-8" or "10-8 us, we are enroute to the next call"

"Us" meaning both people in the unit. Could be that too.

Duster

Supposedly Retired...
Database Admin
Station81FirstAlarm said:
Haha. Believe me, with so much knowledge that floats around these boards, I am but mere plankton in this ocean. I'll have to listen to Roseville PD a bit to see if I can figure it out. Off the top of my head, I would think its some kind of disposition code. That being a code that the officer provides dispatch to advise them the outcome of the stop or incident. Just a guess though for now.

It is a disposition code. They went to new dispo codes when they did the last upgrade to CAD, and I do not know what they all mean, but they are dispo codes. I was told by an old partner who still works there that they are primarily for traffic stops and traffic-related incidents only, but I haven't monitored them steadily to find out.

mkewman

rocklin fd is hinky. many times, responding fire trucks have issues making it into the repeater 100%. i have one scanner in my place that has issues receiving rfd as well, (and i could literally throw a rock from my place and hit the Police Station and Fire Station 1)

there could be a variety of issues here. besides, alls you're going to hear is medical calls anyway :p especially with the new nursing home/assisted living place on sierra college blvd.

years ago there was talk of rocklin joining the roseville trs. when i've spoken with both rocklin and roseville people, they've all said that those plans are either at a standstill or were scrapped. occasionally, during large incidents they will patch a rarely used public works frequency (the one listed as city emergency i believe) to the Roseville TRS. I've lived in Rocklin about 3 years and haven't heard this happen once.

NWtoSFO

Agreed, Mark. A quarter of the calls I do hear seem to be for that new home. No one ever said Rocklin was interesting. Well, the FD side at least.

mkewman

NWtoSFO said:
Agreed, Mark. A quarter of the calls I do hear seem to be for that new home. No one ever said Rocklin was interesting. Well, the FD side at least.

yeah, i stopped monitoring the fd at night because of the volume of medicals increased exponentially when that home opened up. i couldn't get any sleep!

commstar

Premium Subscriber
They might be using this coding to collect 'profiling' information and the action taken.

rickyhinds

Premium Subscriber
Roseville uses disposition codes for stat tracking. US means "UNSAFE SPEED". Its the code they clear a traffic stop with if the car was cited for speeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.