Plainfield P.D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cg

Premium Subscriber
They had a Town Meeting on Monday (4/5/21) to vote on spending $100,000+ on upgrades to the PD communications system, so going on CLMRN would be a reasonable guess.

mkt853

Wow, I hope that they don't go encrypted.
If they were encrypted before they will most likely be encrypted after joining the CLMRN, and if they were in the clear before, they will most likely stay that way after the transition. Putting everyone on one system is problematic for scanner listeners though because one flip of a switch by the state and everyone on the system goes dark even if only temporarily during the next big emergency.

P25andstuff

If they were encrypted before they will most likely be encrypted after joining the CLMRN, and if they were in the clear before, they will most likely stay that way after the transition. Putting everyone on one system is problematic for scanner listeners though because one flip of a switch by the state and everyone on the system goes dark even if only temporarily during the next big emergency.
Yeah this could be true, and would suck. But I've talked to some people and they just say that Interop talkgroups will go 100% secure, but not main dispatches. But who knows.

tony_s_fan

Premium Subscriber
In November, I joined a local (Quiet Corner) FD and was issued a Motorola DMR radio. We're dispatched through QVEC. Transmissions are in the clear.

That being said, I would think that at some point in the future, QV will eventually go to tge state radio system. If so, why were we issued DMR radios?

cg

Premium Subscriber
Likely because the business radios are much more affordable than the "Public $afety" radios. One of the popular CMED mobiles when the State of CT issued their "You need to talk to every CT CMED on every channel, repeater and direct" mandate was the Motorola XPR5550. The portables are around 60-70% of the cost of an equivalent P$ radio.

chris

tony_s_fan

Premium Subscriber
Likely because the business radios are much more affordable than the "Public $afety" radios. One of the popular CMED mobiles when the State of CT issued their "You need to talk to every CT CMED on every channel, repeater and direct" mandate was the Motorola XPR5550. The portables are around 60-70% of the cost of an equivalent P$ radio.

chris

Didn't think about the cost. I don't see QV changing systems any time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.