wing found osp,morgan and muskingum counties involved
calling for shallow boats and atv,s

they have found the plane wreckage
no bodies so far

Last edited:

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
There is a feed on http://www.scanmiamivalley.com (Northeast section - choose Jefferson County MARCS) that has some of the traffic.

I don't know if a feed exists anywhere else that could produce the traffic for this area. I'm not really in the area of the plane crash, but for whatever reason TGID 63504 is active on one of the tower sites in our county so I'm hearing a bit of traffic. If I had known earlier I woudl have said something, but I was busy and didn't see this post until now.

They are sending in a cadaver unit.

Mike

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
mtindor said:
Check this out:

Whiz actually mentioned that even t...lumbus reported both bodies had been located.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
wa8pyr said:
Nah. Just prosecute the nitwits at WHIZ for violating Federal law ('unlawful to divulge the contents of communications you overhear' applies to the news "media" as well).

Sure would be a really crappy way for someone to find out their loved ones may have been killed.

BTW, WBNS in Columbus reported both bodies had been located.

I don't read the "law" on scanner usage - It seems the media gets an out when average joe scanner listener gets busted - Is there something in the law that may allow news media to divulge? I hope not. What they did naming names based upon what they heard on the scanner was more than tacky... it's disgraceful. The asses even acknowledged in that same post on their site that authorities hadn't released the names of the deceased pending notification of the family... BUT they go on to spit it out anyway. jeesh. Sensationalism at its best. I sent ghiotis@whizmediagroup.com a piece of my mind.

Mike

Last edited:

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
mtindor said:
I don't read the "law" on scanner usage - It seems the media gets an out when average joe scanner listener gets busted - Is there something in the law that may allow news media to divulge? I hope not. What they did naming names based upon what they heard on the scanner was more than tacky... it's disgraceful. The asses even acknowledged in that same post on their site that authorities hadn't released the names of the deceased pending notification of the family... BUT they go on to spit it out anyway. jeesh. Sensationalism at its best. I sent ghiotis@whizmediagroup.com a piece of my mind.

AFAIK, there is no "out" for the news media. It's legal to mention that you heard something on the scanner, but not what you heard.

IE, "I heard about the plane crash on the scanner" is OK, but "I heard on the scanner that the name in the luggage was John Doe" is not. My rule of thumb is, if there's any doubt, don't say anything.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I won't say who the guy's/gal's name was, but I sent an email comment to somebody at WHIZ regarding the tackiness of posting what they hard, irregardless of the legality. Here is what he/she said:

Mike,

Thanks for writing. We usually will hold the name until next of kin is
notified. But the name was being used often by other media in our part of
the state who also have websites. If we hold the name then we end up being
the only station in the state not using it and then it becomes a disservice
to our local audience. Please understand these decisions are made on a case
by case basis. And if it had been local victims we would have reconsidered
our decision.

What he is describing as a disservice to his customers seems to be a vague way of saying "if other media are stating it, we have to compete with them even if it is blatant sensationalism." That's my interpretation.

I somewhat see his point about them being non-local - but how would they know for sure there wasn't a distant relative in the area. I dunno, just left a bad taste in my mouth. On the upside, WHIZ has one of the better looking websites of any news media in Ohio I think. Most people used canned stuff from NBC/ABC/CBS.

Back on the subject, as any accident like this is - it was tragic. I wouldn't want to have to be the family going through it.

Mike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.