police scanners

suelee

I have 2 police scanners. 1 is a BC 125 AT. It scans but does not get signal and doesn't pick up the transmissions. 2nd one is a digital trunking scanner, it gets signal but it doesn't get the transmissions either. What could be the problem?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I have 2 police scanners. 1 is a BC 125 AT. It scans but does not get signal and doesn't pick up the transmissions. 2nd one is a digital trunking scanner, it gets signal but it doesn't get the transmissions either. What could be the problem?

There could be hundreds of issues, but it is hard for anyone to diagnois them if you don't provide all the information on the problem. We need to know what agency or system are you listening to, where are you listening from, how have you programmed the scanners (manually or with software, and if software what program), and what is the second scanner that is digital trunking? Also, have the scanners ever picked up the things you are trying to listen to, do they pick up other frequencies such as the weather frequencies?

People will be happy to help you, but you need to give us all the information, otherwise many people will ignore your post since the information they need is missing.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the forums. First, where are you located? This info is crucial so we can pull up the database to see what is monitorable in your area. Second: what is the make & model of the digital trunking scanner? Could be anything from disabled service types, simulcast distortion (or worse, encryption) errors in your programming, a combo of more than one of the aforementioned, etc. Specific info goes a very long way to help us help you. Without it the only thing we can do is assume

Last edited:

suelee

There could be hundreds of issues, but it is hard for anyone to diagnois them if you don't provide all the information on the problem. We need to know what agency or system are you listening to, where are you listening from, how have you programmed the scanners (manually or with software, and if software what program), and what is the second scanner that is digital trunking? Also, have the scanners ever picked up the things you are trying to listen to, do they pick up other frequencies such as the weather frequencies?

People will be happy to help you, but you need to give us all the information, otherwise many people will ignore your post since the information they need is missing.
I manually programmed the frequencies into the scanners. No software. Yes they picked up things before and they do pick up the weather frequencies . Digital trunking scanner is a radio shack scanner. I like to listen to my local police and fire departments.

suelee

I manually programmed the frequencies into the scanners. No software. Yes they picked up things before and they do pick up the weather frequencies . Digital trunking scanner is a radio shack scanner. I like to listen to my local police and fire departments.
I am in northern Indiana

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I am in northern Indiana

Okay you still haven't told us what scanner it is, RS makes many, nor have you told us who/what agency you are listening to, Northern Indiana has a lot of agencies using lots of different systems (conventional or trunked), radios, modes (Analog, DMR, NXDN, P25 P1 and P2), encryption/not encryption. If you want help you need to give us the information, we won't beg you for it, we will just move on and wish you luck.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I am in northern Indiana
suelee, you have a couple of very experienced notable members trying to help you here. There are others who are watching and following this thread. We are experienced radio Geeks who can really help you achieve your goals, make recommendations and get you on the right track, we are not dentists, not good at pulling teeth LOL ;)

It is necessary to give the exact model number of the radio that you own. The exact home town city, and the county that it's in. That way the fellows can look in the database and see exactly what your fire and police are using. Your local fire and police, Sheriff's Department and state patrols In your hometown. Maybe they're encrypted, maybe they are DMR or nxdn. Phase1 or Phase 2 p25 digital as has already been said several times.

Hope you're able to get some help before people move on.

suelee

suelee, you have a couple of very experienced notable members trying to help you here. There are others who are watching and following this thread. We are experienced radio Geeks who can really help you achieve your goals, make recommendations and get you on the right track, we are not dentists, not good at pulling teeth LOL ;)

It is necessary to give the exact model number of the radio that you own. The exact home town city, and the county that it's in. That way the fellows can look in the database and see exactly what your fire and police are using. Your local fire and police, Sheriff's Department and state patrols In your hometown. Maybe they're encrypted, maybe they are DMR or nxdn. Phase1 or Phase 2 p25 digital as has already been said several times.

Hope you're able to get some help before people move on.
The digital trunking desktop/mobile scanner is a pro-197 from Radio Shack, and a Uniden BC 125 AT handheld. I am in Bristol Indiana, Elkhart County. If I'm missing some info please let me know. Thank You.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
The digital trunking desktop/mobile scanner is a pro-197 from Radio Shack, and a Uniden BC 125 AT handheld. I am in Bristol Indiana, Elkhart County. If I'm missing some info please let me know. Thank You.
Good for you, that's exactly what we need to know. I'm running out the door to dinner with friends but.. @Whiskey3JMC and @RaleighGuy hope you see this.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
@suelee it appears most of the agencies have moved to the Indiana Project Hoosier SAFE-T P25 Phase I system, many of the sites on that system are listed as simulcast, including the Elkhart tower, which creates monitoring challenges for most scanners, including the ones you have listed. That said, location plays a big part in reception and your ability to listen may vary. Elkhart county and city are not listed as encrypted, so that is a positive. Your Pro 197 should be able to pickup the Elkhart tower frequencies, though simulcast will be an issue.

There are several other local PDs and FDs and schools that continue to have analog freqs, according to the database, that your BC125AT should pick up, if they are still in use.

Elkhart County Government Services are using DMR which your scanner will not monitor.

suelee

Do you have programming software for the PRO-197?
No I don't

Exactly what channels are you trying to receive?

Are you talking about the frequencies that I programmed into the scanner?

What does the SAF T and dmr mean?

I will read your responses after I get home from work today. Thank you.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Indiana Project Hoosier SAFE-T is the statewide trunked radio system. DMR (Digital Mobile Radio) is another digital format which the PRO-197 cannot decode. You can use Butel ARC500 or PSREdit500 software to program the PRO-197 scanner. Both apps have a free trial period to see which one you like best. It is far faster and easier to use software than programming manually. If you install the software, I can provide a file for Elkhart County to get your scanner working if you are in a location not affected by simulcast distortion.