Portland Rebanding

Status
Not open for further replies.

K7AAY

DickH said:
Keep in mind that WIKI can have info. added to it by anyone. I take some of what I read there without much credence.
I am aware of the flaws of Wikipedia.

However. I surely would appreciate an answer to my original question, so I may figure out which scanners would be useful and which will not.

If you monitor Portland's trunking system, I would appreciate y'all noting what scanners y'all have, and a comment on how well they serve you for that purpose, as well as police and fire in the VHF band, plus monitoring amateur radio frequencies for repeaters which use CTCSS.

Thank you.

DickH

K7AAY said:
That WIKI suggests many RS systems (those made by GRE) won't properly receive Motorola systems because of the reduced channel spacing. Since Portland has a Moto system, this suggests Uniden-made scanners are the way to go as halving the channel bandwidth was said to be a problem for GRE-made RS scanners. Is this accurate?

Never heard of such a thing. The big issue is which scanners will be usable after the 800MHz rebanding. Until recently, only digital capable scanners, in the $500 price range, will be OK. However, there are two new Uniden-made Radio Shack scanners, the PRO-433 & PRO-528 that are not digital and can be upgraded for rebanding. These are low priced, but work very well on our Motorola systems in the 4-county area around Portland.
I have all the details about them on my new Yahoo group. You are more than welcome to join.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PRO-433_scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.