Possible Edison TRS Expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GM

Premium Subscriber
Well, it looks like the Edison Trunked System may be expanding to a town near you. Woodbridge would like to piggyback onto Edison's TRS to improve communications and response time for mutual aid calls. It makes sense for this merger to go through, but the fact remains that citizens who monitor Woodbridge PD will no longer be able to, as Edison's TRS will in fact (based on current protocol) encrypt all of the PD TG's on the system. Read more about it below at the posted link and give me your feedback.

http://www.thnt.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061020/NEWS01/610200423/1005

TonyS

First off, they have the Hotline, which works fine, so they don't need a "direct" talkgroup for that. Secondly, I think problems will arise from all the Edison and Woodbridge traffic on the system, however I'm no trunked systems operational expert. Of course, either putting up a bigger tower in Colonia than what they have now or adding another tower in the area would increase talkability without having to share anyone's system. It would also be cheaper than adding three more towers.

cfd1274

TRS expansion

The main reason for this is, the designers of the new woodbridge system want to use the current Fire/EMS frequencies as part of the trunk system. The Woodbridge FD's have made it quite clear that the new system be set up exactly like it is now, with SIMPLEX ANALOG fireground frequencies, along with access to the neighboring town's analog UHF systems and trunk systems. Woodbridge's trunk system will go ahead, however, it amazes me that the TWP has not addressed paging, which is still on VHF low and is plauged with bad reception in some parts of town...

W2SJW

Database Admin
GM said:
...as Edison's TRS will in fact (based on current protocol) encrypt all of the PD TG's on the system.

I firmly believe that the administration of Woodbridge PD will have the final say on that. They'll almost definitely have their own separate TG's from Edison, and can do whatever they please with the setup of them (I just hope they stay in the clear, but that might be wishful thinking at best).

TonyS

Oh, I can't see any reason to use Edison's TGs. While I hate to think of it, I agree that they'll most likely encrypt the PD. We shall see.

Status
Not open for further replies.