• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Possible Inhibit issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

1976Mustang

So first things, yes I am authorized to be on the channels I'm trying to get on. I'm a Volunteer firefighter and donated my own radio to be used. My chief himself sent the radio off to be programmed for me, but it does not work. After reading a few threads, I wanted to get that out of the way first.

Motorola XTS 2500i, has a display but no soft keys below it. I've already sent it to a radio shop to be programmed twice, first time they failed to get the correct frequencies on it, but it did work (Just, I was talking to another county...). Just got it back, a freakin' year-and-a-half later, from the second attempt and now the frequencies are correct (I think), but I get nothing but silence. Shows a strong signal to the trunking system. Keep in mind, this radio stuff is far over my head.

So here is my question. How can I tell if a radio has been inhibited?

I read that a blank display is a good clue, but mine isn't blank and the radio has been re-programmed since when I think it may have gotten inhibited. Long story shot, Radio is my Dad's old unit. When he got a new one, his previous supervisor of questionable intelligence said he was having the radio "Turned off." I didn't really understand how these trunking systems work then, so I didn't think anything of it. Now, I have a radio that says it's connected, but will not RX and as far as I can tell, will not TX either. with some breif researching, I'm starting to wonder if the radio was blacklisted on the Dispatch side. I just really don't want to bug them unless I'm 100% sure that's the issue.

Any help and advise is greatly appreciated. I'm tired of shipping this radio out to another county for the Radio shop to sit on it for months at a time. Perks of being in a Rural area.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
If you see ANYTHING in the display it isn't inhibited.

1976Mustang

If you see ANYTHING in the display it isn't inhibited.
That's the hint I was starting to get from other threads, but I saw a few people mention reprogramming it can bring the screen back. Thats where I'm wondering if I got inhibited on the dispatch side.

However I think I stumbled upon my issue. Someone suggested that my radio probably just needs to be reauthorized as a whole on the Wyolink system... So I sent a support ticket with them.

Last edited:

wgbecks

Either the radio needs a serious need of repair or realignment, or it simply isn't programmed correctly. Wyolink is virtually all VHF with the exception of one pocket of 800 MHz that leads me to suspect the Band Plan entries may be incorrect or incomplete. If it were me, I would seek out the system administrator being you have your departments permission to request a template (codeplug) or at least ask them for a recommendation of a shop that they are familiar with that knows the system that can program the radio correctly.

Band Plans for VHF and UHF systems can be somewhat complex as there are no standard frequency plans such as exist on 700/800 MHz that
have to take into account a smattering of channels (frequency pairs) hop scotched all across the band wherever spectrum could be licensed
when the system was engineered and constructed.

Feel free to PM if you'd like to discuss offline.

Bill

Echo4Thirty

Premium Subscriber
A display with no soft keys could be from someone dumping in a model 1.5 codeplug with the unmentionable tools. 1.5 radios have no buttons so no need for softkeys.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
A display with no soft keys could be from someone dumping in a model 1.5 codeplug with the unmentionable tools. 1.5 radios have no buttons so no need for softkeys.
That or believe it or not Ive seen small rural areas as soon as one radio is decommissioned temporarily from field its like a self appointed parts for grabs, this casing is better than mine looks new and some take it upon self to decide I dont need zones these 16 are fine but that housing is new. Seen a lot crazy out there like that. But mostly it is what you said.

As for wyolink definitely make contact with the state admin and a support ticket. It also would have some retrained in proper trunking programming and it is alarming if they are authorized for whomever and send out improper programmed radios without testing them first before handing them back out in field. Makes you wonder how many others have the issue or similar in field right now.

1976Mustang

Either the radio needs a serious need of repair or realignment, or it simply isn't programmed correctly. Wyolink is virtually all VHF with the exception of one pocket of 800 MHz that leads me to suspect the Band Plan entries may be incorrect or incomplete. If it were me, I would seek out the system administrator being you have your departments permission to request a template (codeplug) or at least ask them for a recommendation of a shop that they are familiar with that knows the system that can program the radio correctly.

Band Plans for VHF and UHF systems can be somewhat complex as there are no standard frequency plans such as exist on 700/800 MHz that
have to take into account a smattering of channels (frequency pairs) hop scotched all across the band wherever spectrum could be licensed
when the system was engineered and constructed.

Feel free to PM if you'd like to discuss offline.

Bill

Sadly the shop my radio went to is the shop our local admin recommends. And they're absolute crap. My Dad is an LT on EMS, and this shop has screwed up programming the radios in their ambulances countless times. Everything from disabling features that needed to be enabled (Like scanning), to just flat programming in the wrong channels. I've been waiting for a response from Wyolink on if my radio is authorized, since a few people locally have suggested that could be an issue, but I have not gotten a reply yet. However I found out from my Chief today that a second radio that was programmed with mine isn't working either, same symptoms, so to me it is sounding like (yet another) failed programming by the store. They keep giving us excuses that they're struggling to program the radios due to their age, but aren't elaborating on what exactly they're having issues with. I'm going to give it back to my chief so he can ship it back to Cheyenne for the third time now. He's irritated because they paided a lot to have these radios programmed, and 2 out of 3 won't work.

On the other hand, I may just abandon the radio and shelf it. I'm close to getting certified, and once I do I'll be issued a proper department radio anyways. I just wanted this radio to work since it was a gift from my dad. But now, a year and a half later, it's become more of a headache than it was ever worth...

Sorry, I meant that just as a description of what the radio looked like. I noticed a few different versions of this model exist, so I Wanted it clear mine just had a display on the front face

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
I find it interesting they are having issues. We run various new to older models and equipment. It's all in the person programming. More like they don't understand the programming aspects blaming a old subscriber radio.

I am wondering if they are cloning a particular codeplug and making minor changes and missing a lot that needs to be changed or have a old master codeplug that is defunct.

P25andstuff

Your radio might need to be tuned and aligned. But if an RSSI is displaying that is interesting. Does it show anything on the screen such as "NO COMMS" or "REFUSED" ? This dealer that did the programming could've done something questionable too, and not program the radio properly. Id take it to the System Admins, Keep in mind I have no idea what system this is or anything about it.

RocketNJ

Sounds like a few issues.

First, the system admin could have removed the ID for that radio from the system or set it to receive only.
Second, the shop doing the programming may not have a clue on programming the radio correctly. Best bet is to contact the system admin and make arrangements to have them program the radio correctly, then have it professionally aligned by a shop that has proper training and equipment. The system admin should have a standard programming template developed rather than a shop fumble through settings they probably do not understand. I was a system admin for a larger system and we would develop codeplug templates for the various make and model radios and send the template to the dealer. The dealer NEVER created the programming from scratch for our system.

Last, you mentioned it was your Dad's radio but it is a 2500i. From what I remember, the 2500i was only sold to certain federal agencies (Navy being one), so that radio may not have been on the system legally. Again, contact the system administrator.

P25andstuff

Exactly, The systems in my area do not send out work to shops. It is all done by network control. Granted it takes time, but it's right every time. So stuff like this doesn't happen.

a417

Everything from disabling features that needed to be enabled (Like scanning),
:unsure:

The radio shop might have a programming template from their system admin who tells them to disable scanning, unless specifically instructed to turn it on. We told the shops who touched our radios to do so.

Casual users want scanning, you don't want the apparatus radio to be scanning half the county when it's doing something important.

Last edited:

RocketNJ

My bad on the i model. Our agency never used them. I remember a batch was available on GreedBay at one point with the dim display.

Probably what I was thinking. never realized they were available to "regular" customers.

P25andstuff

My bad on the i model. Our agency never used them. I remember a batch was available on GreedBay at one point with the dim display.

Probably what I was thinking. never realized they were available to "regular" customers.
The chinese housings have the "XTS2500I" Housing decal. That's probably what you were seeing. Anyone was able to buy a 2500I.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Although the Chinese cases have the "i" decal, they left out the mic membrane and the screen, so it is definitely NOT immersible.

com501

The XTS is not 'old technology'. Many agencies have hundreds and thousands of these still in service. Just because Motorola has deemed it beyond support life is no reason the radio should not work.

Any decent radio shop should be able to program this radio without any problems. I am quite sure the state radio techs have a codeplug template to work from. This is where I would start, get a working codeplug and program the radio with that. Also, your 'radio shop' should as a matter of course, align, inspect, and autotune that radio before it goes into service. This is not 'rocket surgery'.

A close visual inspection will determine if the serial number, model number, and Tanapa match what it should be, and the flashcode will reveal much more. IF it is a true 'I' version, vacuum ports need to be checked and tested.

Status
Not open for further replies.