posts marked read without reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomast77

I have noticed that if I come to the forum and read a few posts then come back a few hours later to read some more. That all the posts are now marked as read without me reading them. Is there a setting somewhere that I can adjust? I don't want any posts to be marked as read until I read them.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
That's the default operation of the board. When the board sees you idle longer than a certain time it sets you as left the site and marks everything read.

There's nothing you or we can do that won't affect everyone else.

thomast77

That's the default operation of the board. When the board sees you idle longer than a certain time it sets you as left the site and marks everything read.

There's nothing you or we can do that won't affect everyone else.

I don't understand why it would be setup this way. It should not mark threads as read until I read them. This is the first forum I have ever visited that is setup like this. There is no way to change this??

edited to add: It also appears to not mark messages as read when I have read them.

Last edited:

com501

I don't understand why it would be setup this way. It should not mark threads as read until I read them. This is the first forum I have ever visited that is setup like this. There is no way to change this??

edited to add: It also appears to not mark messages as read when I have read them.

It annoys me too, but it probably has something to do with database complexity. The server would have to save an additional couple of toggles for every user. It might be a scaling issue.

I know that when we changed how our data was stored on a server by adding one field, it quadrupled the storage because of the time stamping...

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
It annoys me too, but it probably has something to do with database complexity. The server would have to save an additional couple of toggles for every user. It might be a scaling issue.
You're correct. Each member then requires the need to store a saved state. With the amount of members and forums you can understand why we do it this way.

thomast77 said:
If it isn't then there's something going on on your end.

I'm rather sure that any other forum that saves the user's state is no where near as large as this one.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
If it isn't then there's something going on on your end.
This probably is the way you navigate the board. Are you actually seeing the actual post as not being read or does the forum show unread posts when you have gone in and read them all? The latter is a known problem for vBulletin. Unless you actually step backward through the index (each level) the forums will show unread posts even though you have read them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.