POTUS Visit 6/19

officer_415

Database Admin
I didn’t record it, but I heard it. N531DD took off from San Rafael without reading the NOTAMs, and did a very quick about face after being intercepted by NOBLE.

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber
Where did the tankers go? It looks like the tanker support has ended. But the POTUS is still here.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
10:05 AM PDT --- THE PRESIDENT departs San Francisco International Airport, San Francisco, California en route to Joint Base Andrews

mcjones2013

Radio Communications Enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure if it was related to the visit, but I was able to receive encrypted traffic on 170.5625 $653 which appears to be SF FED-ED, a federal interop repeater in the Bay Area (although I was getting it on a portable hear in Sacramento so I'm guessing there's a repeater on Mt Diablo or Mt Vaca).

officer_415

Database Admin
I'm not sure if it was related to the visit, but I was able to receive encrypted traffic on 170.5625 $653 which appears to be SF FED-ED, a federal interop repeater in the Bay Area (although I was getting it on a portable hear in Sacramento so I'm guessing there's a repeater on Mt Diablo or Mt Vaca).

I believe the “D” in SF FED-ED stands for Diablo.

officer_415

Database Admin
SWATH30 (yesterday’s KC-46 out of Mather) and SWATH31 (KC-135 62-3542 out of Beale) are up again this morning. Sounds like NOBLE is doing more intercepts.

Update: AF1 is airborne enroute to Andrews, and CAP has been cleared RTB.

Last edited:

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber
I find it interesting that the tankers would stage out of Mather. I know that Beale and Travis both support their own tanker aircraft. So you’d think those would be the preferred bases for staging visiting tanker aircraft. And since Travis is the closer base, why not stage them out of there?

What support is at Mather? It was closed years ago, and while they do support flight ops, the only military presence is the USCG station.

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber
SWATH30 (yesterday’s KC-46 out of Mather) and SWATH31 (KC-135 62-3542 out of Beale) are up again this morning. Sounds like NOBLE is doing more intercepts.

Update: AF1 is airborne enroute to Andrews, and CAP has been cleared RTB.
I have a bunch of recordings to review. But did you catch type, staging base and home base for the CAP?

Was it provided by 144th out of Fresno, or someplace else?

officer_415

Database Admin
I find it interesting that the tankers would stage out of Mather. I know that Beale and Travis both support their own tanker aircraft. So you’d think those would be the preferred bases for staging visiting tanker aircraft. And since Travis is the closer base, why not stage them out of there?

What support is at Mather? It was closed years ago, and while they do support flight ops, the only military presence is the USCG station.

I was wondering the same thing. There were at least 2 KC-135 flights out of Beale, but Monday's KC-135 flew in from Utah and landed at Mather, and the KC-46 was also operating out of Mather.

CGAS Sacramento is at McClellan, not Mather. I believe there is some CA ANG presence at Mather.

I have a bunch of recordings to review. But did you catch type, staging base and home base for the CAP?

Was it provided by 144th out of Fresno, or someplace else?

They were F-35s, so definitely not 144 FW. Not sure where they were from.

Last edited:

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber
Interesting landing for the AF1. Do they typically try to "confuse" folks by bringing in two aircraft in close proximity?

Check out the flight path of the VC-32 (757):

Attachments

• 1687387646999.png
    1687387646999.png
    831.5 KB · Views: 13

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber
Looks like the F-35s were out of Hill AFB:

Thanks for posting this! I just found it on my own. Was reviewing the recordings from my HP-1.
The F-35s were chatting on the boom frequency that they didn't like going so slow to intercept propeller planes.
I'm surprised there wasn't some A-A chit chat frequency. Sounded like they were bored and/or flirting with female boom operator on a SWATH flight.

I was wondering the same thing. There were at least 2 KC-135 flights out of Beale, but Monday's KC-135 flew in from Utah and landed at Mather, and the KC-46 was also operating out of Mather.

CGAS Sacramento is at McClellan, not Mather. I believe there is some CA ANG presence at Mather.

They were F-35s, so definitely not 144 FW. Not sure where they were from.

You are absolutely correct. I got my Mather and McClellan confused. And point still stands McClellan only has CA ANG.
But Travis seems to be the most logical place for locality and already hosting a tanker support mission.