power lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

freqs

A house that I am looking to buy has the tall Edison power lines behind it .
Now my question is do those type of power lines have a ill affect on scanning like electric noise buzzing things like that and reception .
Does anyone have a issue?????? I am not talking about the normal telephone / power /cable lines that run from your home to the wood poles .

Last edited:
N

N_Jay

Yes, No, Maybe.

In general they will raise the noise floor.
In general that will occur most at lower frequencies.
In general FM hides (does not eliminate) noise that is below the level significantly affecting reception
In general weaker signals will be heard with noise or not heard at all.
In general these situations are very hard to make any specific predictions about.

JoeyC

I would definately NOT buy a house in such close proximatey to power lines if you are a radio enthusiast.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Depending I how close they are, you might want to think about interference to your health, in addition to the scanner.

kayi4cle

Premium Subscriber
I agree that health concerns are really something to consider regarding high tension power lines. However, if you really want some idea of how your radio hobby might suffer if you lived in this location, get your realtor to show you the place and take along a radio or two and test it out on a whole range of frequencies (and on all floors if it's 2-story or more). I did that before we bought, and there were just the usual residential power lines behind our house. Hope this helps.

RKG

In fact, I would not worry about health concerns. However, depending on the size of the lines, you might have EM issues that go beyond radio, such as interfering with computers, monitors, TVs and the like.

Status
Not open for further replies.