Power pole

DJBio

Premium Subscriber
I got a 24 foot pole and have a 9 foot aluminum pipe for my discone antenna and thinking on slowly adding more antennas to it but not sure if there needs to be spacing between the antennas
The discone will be about 6 feet above the power pole
Am slowly reading up on things for amateur radio licence
And help be great
Got a 100’ role of LMR400 cable on order for my uniden bcd996p2

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
For receiving only: Antennas placed too closely together can make them directional.

For receiving and transmitting: Antennas placed too closely together can make them directional and coupling between a transmitting antenna and another antenna can result in high levels of RF getting into the other radios, potentially causing damage.

You do need to carefully consider antenna spacing.

DJBio

Premium Subscriber
I may get some 4x4 or other size lumber and build out off of the main pole to add some other antennas and may see if I can get some
More poles to place in other areas of my property

kingshootr

Premium Subscriber
For receiving only: Antennas placed too closely together can make them directional.

For receiving and transmitting: Antennas placed too closely together can make them directional and coupling between a transmitting antenna and another antenna can result in high levels of RF getting into the other radios, potentially causing damage.

I know you answered this earlier for me - but just for clarification - does the antenna separation need to be vertically, horizontally, or both? (Say for a dedicated scanner antenna and a CB antenna.)

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I know you answered this earlier for me - but just for clarification - does the antenna separation need to be vertically, horizontally, or both? (Say for a dedicated scanner antenna and a CB antenna.)

It will depend on what you can do, and how much power you are running. There is no easy answer, there's too many variables. More separation is better. Vertical separation is better than horizontal separation when dealing with vertically polarized antennas.

DJBio

Premium Subscriber

What would u recommend for spacing for a discone antenna and say a CB antenna to start

mdulrich

Feed Provider
Simple answer. At least a 1/4 wavelength of the lowest frequency separation horizontally. For CB that is around 9'. Vertically a minimum of 3', but preferably more. And vertically, don't line up antennas in a straight line, but stager on opposite sides of the pole.

DJBio

Premium Subscriber
Simple answer. At least a 1/4 wavelength of the lowest frequency separation horizontally. For CB that is around 9'. Vertically a minimum of 3', but preferably more. And vertically, don't line up antennas in a straight line, but stager on opposite sides of the pole.i plant on having the discone about 6 feet above the top of the power pole
I plane on having the discone about 6 feet above the top of the power pole it self maybe put a cross bar down a little and put about 4 feet on either side of that
And trying to decide on what all I want to put up for antennas
Planning on going for the amateur radio license so need room for that

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
Think at least more like 2 wavelength’s spacing from a mast to get somewhat of an omni pattern and that’s about 12ft at VHF and 2ft at UHF. That would mean if a VHF antenna is off the side of a mast it’s 12ft out from it. If the VHF antenna is on top then a UHF could be below it only 2ft out from the mast and an 800antenna could be 1ft out.

For discreet single band antennas making a multiband system I like to use an 8 to 10ft pipe horizontal with a cast aluminum T in the center to hold the horizontal pipe to a mast, then cast aluminum right angle 90s at each end to attach short masts 1 to 2ft tall. Then the main mast sticks up through the T adapter a foot or so and the VHF antenna goes in the center of the 8-10ft horizontal mast. A UHF antenna will go on one end and a 700/800 antenna on the other end. This gives you a very good omni pattern with the UHF and 700/800 antennas usually being invisible to the VHF antenna with plenty of spacing for the UHF and 700/800 antennas away from the VHF. Plus all antennas sit at the top of the tower for best reception.

I have a partially assembled antenna system as described using all Shakespeare antennas starting with the fabulous HS-2774 broad band 136-174MHz used by the USCG, then it’s UHF mate the 380-490MHz US-3849 (very hard to find) then the 800MHz 4800-M which also covers 700MHz just fine. These all sit on a 1.3” OD aluminum pipe 8 ft long giving 4ft spacing between antennas and the whole assembly with antennas attached is very light weight. All antennas feed a Sti-co triplexer that will live in a small NEMA box right below the horizontal arm and combine all antennas onto one feedline. This setup is intended for portable operation with multiband radios providing noticeable gain over using a single broadband antenna like a Discone.

Here is an example of a cast T for 1 1/4” OD pipe or mast. Hollaender Speed Rail Offset Cross | eBay

DJBio

Premium Subscriber
Think at least more like 2 wavelength’s spacing from a mast to get somewhat of an omni pattern and that’s about 12ft at VHF and 2ft at UHF. That would mean if a VHF antenna is off the side of a mast it’s 12ft out from it. If the VHF antenna is on top then a UHF could be below it only 2ft out from the mast and an 800antenna could be 1ft out.

For discreet single band antennas making a multiband system I like to use an 8 to 10ft pipe horizontal with a cast aluminum T in the center to hold the horizontal pipe to a mast, then cast aluminum right angle 90s at each end to attach short masts 1 to 2ft tall. Then the main mast sticks up through the T adapter a foot or so and the VHF antenna goes in the center of the 8-10ft horizontal mast. A UHF antenna will go on one end and a 700/800 antenna on the other end. This gives you a very good omni pattern with the UHF and 700/800 antennas usually being invisible to the VHF antenna with plenty of spacing for the UHF and 700/800 antennas away from the VHF. Plus all antennas sit at the top of the tower for best reception.

I have a partially assembled antenna system as described using all Shakespeare antennas starting with the fabulous HS-2774 broad band 136-174MHz used by the USCG, then it’s UHF mate the 380-490MHz US-3849 (very hard to find) then the 800MHz 4800-M which also covers 700MHz just fine. These all sit on a 1.3” OD aluminum pipe 8 ft long giving 4ft spacing between antennas and the whole assembly with antennas attached is very light weight. All antennas feed a Sti-co triplexer that will live in a small NEMA box right below the horizontal arm and combine all antennas onto one feedline. This setup is intended for portable operation with multiband radios providing noticeable gain over using a single broadband antenna like a Discone.

Here is an example of a cast T for 1 1/4” OD pipe or mast. Hollaender Speed Rail Offset Cross | eBay
Any chance of seeing a picture of ur system would give me a better idea on how to set mine up

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
I laid out the parts on my deck to show roughly what it looks like assembled, UHF on the left, VHF center, 800 on the right. There is no vertical mast in this picture and it would go up through the cast T at the middle antenna. The triplexer is shown lower center but with no NEMA enclosure. This horizontal arm is 8ft. Instead of the Shakespeare 800MHz MHz antenna I have for this setup, an L-com HGV-906U 800/900MHz version is shown in its place on the right.

1716431965542.jpeg

DJBio

Premium Subscriber
Slowly getting my antenna set up
Couple more things to get before I get it put in the ground
And then add other antennas to it down the road

Attachments

• IMG_0794.jpeg
    IMG_0794.jpeg
    56.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0795.jpeg
    IMG_0795.jpeg
    49.8 KB · Views: 25

DJBio

Premium Subscriber
Don't forget the antenna/mast ground wire.
Bill
I am going to order one of these
The mast is 1/14 aluminum pipe so going to ground the cable and likely do 2 grounds off of it

Attachments

• IMG_0796.png
    IMG_0796.png
    193.3 KB · Views: 9

DJBio

Premium Subscriber
Picked up a 6’ grounding rod and some grounding wire today to attach to the item I posted above
Had a member tell me to ground the antenna so I am going to pick up some wire to do that but trying to figure out how to attach the wire to the discone antenna

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Picked up a 6’ grounding rod and some grounding wire today to attach to the item I posted above
Had a member tell me to ground the antenna so I am going to pick up some wire to do that but trying to figure out how to attach the wire to the discone antenna

You attach the ground lead to the mounting mast.

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
I'm being kind of a putz on this, but.

1. Your mixing aluminum and steel, and copper, as pointed out, take precautions for corrosion.

2. I'm thinking you should look at grounding as a system.

So far it sounds like everything is just add a bit here or there. Everything has to work together.

If you know the electrical code or a lot about grounding and such, sorry for wasting your time, otherwise.

Is a good read.

This is a little more direct.

If you get REALLY bored while listening, you can read

Probably not helpful, but it would occupy time. :)

Thanks
Joel

Last edited:

DJBio

Premium Subscriber
I'm being kind of a putz on this, but.

1. Your mixing aluminum and steel, and copper, as pointed out, take precautions for corrosion.

2. I'm thinking you should look at grounding as a system.

So far it sounds like everything is just add a bit here or there. Everything has to work together.

If you know the electrical code or a lot about grounding and such, sorry for wasting your time, otherwise.

Is a good read.

This is a little more direct.

If you get REALLY bored while listening, you can read

Probably not helpful, but it would occupy time. :)

Thanks
Joel
yes I am getting parts for it as I have the extra money cause I am a seasonal worker so money is extremely tight at times so I pick up parts as I see low prices
if I recall the mounting point of the discone antenna is aluminum I could be wrong so that’s why I went with a aluminum pipe and I got it for a cheap price so I am doing the best so once I get it all together I don’t have to try and take it down again

Attachments

• IMG_0847.png
    IMG_0847.png
    207.6 KB · Views: 6