Power pole

DJBio

Premium Subscriber
Aluminum is a conductive metal. You need to use an appropriate bonding strap since you don't want copper and aluminum connected directly.

Thanks man
When I was into the local building supply store I did not see anything that were bronzer
Will check with them next time I am there as I checked their website and don’t see bronze

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
I have a partially assembled antenna system as described using all Shakespeare antennas starting with the fabulous HS-2774 broad band 136-174MHz used by the USCG, then it’s UHF mate the 380-490MHz US-3849 (very hard to find) then the 800MHz 4800-M which also covers 700MHz just fine.
How well does the 4800-M play down into 700 ? I'm using a small Terraware (that you actually recommended a while back) and looking to see if its worth the upgrade for $90.

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
How well does the 4800-M play down into 700 ? I'm using a small Terraware (that you actually recommended a while back) and looking to see if its worth the upgrade for $90.
I’ve checked the VSWR and it’s not bad at 750MHz, I don’t remember the exact numbers but it must have been below 2:1. The Shakespeare is good if you get it cheap but I would not pay retail for one. I’ve been recommending the L-com HGC-906-U antenna for 750-960 reception, it’s rated 824 to 960MHz but works ok down to 750MHz with 6dBi gain. They often show up under $30 on eBay.

DJBio

Premium Subscriber
Got the pole and antenna up today now to finishing the grounding wires and make the last connection
Thought it was LMR400 I ordered but it ended up being KMR400

Attachments

• IMG_0935.jpeg
    IMG_0935.jpeg
    71.8 KB · Views: 14

DJBio

Premium Subscriber
Am going to have to double check all my connections tomorrow after I get home from work as I am not getting any signal icon on my 996p2
Went to WX and put stock antenna on and icon shows up and put new setup on and no icon
Hopefully can save the connections as amazon is showing weeks away for delivery on new ones

DJBio

Premium Subscriber
Looking at doing what I had said couple weeks go and put up a cross bar on the pole it does not show in this picture but the top pipe where it is mounted to the pole is down it 3 feet what would be best to use
Thinking on getting possibly a 10’ 4x4 and mount it so about 5’ on each side or possibly depending on price maybe some more 1 1/4” aluminum pipe and have them go out the sides
Thinking on a antenna for 2Meter 70CM Base Antenna

Attachments

• IMG_1122.jpeg
    IMG_1122.jpeg
    43.5 KB · Views: 6

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
Did you solve the problem of no reception with the new setup from 16 Jun?

Thanks
Joel

DJBio

Premium Subscriber
Did you solve the problem of no reception with the new setup from 16 Jun?

Thanks
Joel
Yes I did couple of the connections were not set right so the center pin on the n connections were not making contact

DJBio

Premium Subscriber
After watching some YouTube videos thinking about maybe something like this but not sure how they would hold up in wind or winter here in eastern Canada

Attachments

• IMG_1129.png
    IMG_1129.png
    130.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1130.png
    IMG_1130.png
    129.6 KB · Views: 2

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I think looking at how the power companies set up their cross arms would be a good idea. They've solved the issue of dealing with winds (most of the time). A wooden cross arm would work, but you'd want some bracing to hold it level. I'd pay close attention to making sure the wood used won't decay/dry out and fail.

If it was me, I'd probably make two cross arms out of metal. Two 10 foot lengths of Unistrut properly braced would be a good place to start. You can use pipe clamps on the unistrut to hold some vertical pipe to mount the antennas on. U-bolts would work, also.

You can get Unistrut and the associated hardware at Home Depot. If you go there and start looking at all the various hardware, your imagination will take over and you'll find a good solution.

DJBio

Premium Subscriber
I think looking at how the power companies set up their cross arms would be a good idea. They've solved the issue of dealing with winds (most of the time). A wooden cross arm would work, but you'd want some bracing to hold it level. I'd pay close attention to making sure the wood used won't decay/dry out and fail.

If it was me, I'd probably make two cross arms out of metal. Two 10 foot lengths of Unistrut properly braced would be a good place to start. You can use pipe clamps on the unistrut to hold some vertical pipe to mount the antennas on. U-bolts would work, also.

You can get Unistrut and the associated hardware at Home Depot. If you go there and start looking at all the various hardware, your imagination will take over and you'll find a good solution.
Think I will be going this route as I can use it to brace it too but not sure if I would go out 10 feet out on each side might go 5 foot out and get one and cut in half to use as a brace