Power strip

TomZot

Newbie
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Sep 27, 2019
Messages
1
Reaction score
2
Hi:

Running two scanners (BCD996P2 and BC355N) on a Diamond D130NJ discone with a Stridsberg MCA202M multicoupler.

I have them all plugged into a power strip for surge protection.

Curious what others do when you will be away for a while...do you turn off the power strip or leave it on?

Multicoupler is live all the time the strip is on.

Thanks.
 

MiCon

Mike
Joined
Feb 9, 2006
Messages
329
Reaction score
442
Location
central AZ
Curious what others do when you will be away for a while...do you turn off the power strip or leave it on?
Depends on how long of a time period you're thinking about, and if your power strip has a surge protector (not all power strips are surge protectors).

Whenever I'm away for overnight or longer, I unplug the power strip. I've had equipment damaged in the past from a power surge. An inconvenience to most people, but I don't want to deal with that again.
 

dlwtrunked

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
2,806
Reaction score
1,673
Hi:

Running two scanners (BCD996P2 and BC355N) on a Diamond D130NJ discone with a Stridsberg MCA202M multicoupler.

I have them all plugged into a power strip for surge protection.

Curious what others do when you will be away for a while...do you turn off the power strip or leave it on?

Multicoupler is live all the time the strip is on.

Thanks.

Have never turned off. More chance to wear out knob and the audio would help scare away intruders hearing public safety communications.
 

K4EET

Chaplain
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Feb 18, 2015
Messages
3,111
Reaction score
2,392
Location
Severn, Maryland, USA
I have them all plugged into a power strip for surge protection.
You probably already know this, but anyway, others that read this thread in the future may not. Power strips marked as having “surge protection” are frequently inadequate to do the job when needed; especially the generic branded models. Make sure you read the specifications to know what you are getting. An Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) from a well-known manufacturer like APC and others would be a better choice in many cases. Again, check the specifications. The additional cost put into a UPS is well worth the investment when powering expensive equipment. I have two UPSs that protect the equipment here that have saved the day more than once. Just ask a piece or two that was not on a UPS here and paid the ultimate price. Fortunately , they were not expensive to replace. Whew 😅!
 
Top