• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

    Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

    If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

    To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

    The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

    For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

    This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Powering Multiple Radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC0QNB

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Nov 4, 2007
Messages
790
Reaction score
54
Location
Gothenburg, NE
Don't see why not, what is the issue with the powerpole system? Just curious.
 

KC0QNB

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Nov 4, 2007
Messages
790
Reaction score
54
Location
Gothenburg, NE
I haven't used them for any of my stuff, no real point this is the first I have heard of the connection being that loose, I remember reading that you should glue the individual connectors (red/black) together to keep the "plug" from coming apart but not the plug pairs.
Bummer, I think you will like the bluesea products, everything I have read about them from users and reviewers is all positive.
 

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
2,959
Reaction score
7
Location
West of Charlotte NC
Can't seem to keep the connectors connected without super-gluing them permanently.



Do you mean the right and left sides together or the "power" and "radio" sides connected? If the latter, is the issue keeping them connected to the rigrunner or to each other.

If each other, a ziptie can keep them locked together easy enough. I'm not 100% if there is a way to secure the leads to the rigrunner since I don't have one.


powerpoleziptie2.jpg

powerpoleziptie1.jpg
 

KC0QNB

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Nov 4, 2007
Messages
790
Reaction score
54
Location
Gothenburg, NE
A zip tie will work on the power radio connection, but if it the left/right sides use the roll pin where it is supposed to go and glue it in place, at least that is what the instructions say to do look here

Grog are you feeling ok?
 
Last edited:

n8emr

Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2005
Messages
498
Reaction score
0
I am wanting to power multiple radios in a vehicle: 2 Kenwood TK-840's, 1 Kenwood TM-G707, and a couple of scanners. I am currently using a Powerpole Rigrunner but the connections really suck IMO. Has anybody used one of these: http://bluesea.com/category/5/21/products/5025 ??. and/or would it work good in a mobile environment?

Do you have the rig runner power lock http://www.westmountainradio.com/rigrunner/pwrlock.htm
Its a must for mobiles. Its a bracket that holds power poles firm into a Rig runner.
 

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
2,959
Reaction score
7
Location
West of Charlotte NC
A zip tie will work on the power radio connection, but if it the left/right sides use the roll pin where it is supposed to go and glue it in place, at least that is what the instructions say to do look here


The zipties go around both connectors lengthwise as the above pictures show. As far as the roll pin, I don't know anyone who uses them and several places recommend to not use them. I use 14ga zipcord so when they are assembled there is not too much lateral movement anyway.


Do you have the rig runner power lock http://www.westmountainradio.com/rigrunner/pwrlock.htm
Its a must for mobiles. Its a bracket that holds power poles firm into a Rig runner.


Neat bracket, was wondering when someone would make something like that for mobile use.



Grog are you feeling ok?


I little hungry, but I have some MREs. Thanks for asking.
 

jonny290

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Nov 15, 2006
Messages
687
Reaction score
0
Location
Denver, CO
Another option - a dab of fingernail polish where the connectors meet will give adequate force to keep them connected, but they can still be removed with a sharp tug.
 

prcguy

Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2006
Messages
18,986
Reaction score
15,499
Location
So Cal - Richardson, TX - Tewksbury, MA
I like building a distribution box with aircraft circuit breakers and 5-way binding posts for mobile power distribution. Here is a pic of the inside of a breaker box I just made for my new vehicle and the box mounted to a chunk of plywood with a remote mounted Icom 706. The Icom has its own dedicated breaker facing the rear of the box. There is also a 175A power pole connector for high current stuff and these don't pull apart very easy.
prcguy
 

Attachments

  • power box.jpg
    power box.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 891
Last edited:

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
2,959
Reaction score
7
Location
West of Charlotte NC
That's a beefy box you have :lol:


I think that 175A power pole would be overkill for a power cable for a handheld radio :D
 

prcguy

Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2006
Messages
18,986
Reaction score
15,499
Location
So Cal - Richardson, TX - Tewksbury, MA
Well thank you very much!
This power distribution is wimpy compared to the last vehicle where I used #2 Teflon wire from the battery to several destinations. The largest wire I had available this time was #6 Teflon aircraft wire and it has a 150A fuse at the battery. The large yellow 175A power pole connector is not too big for a hand held if you have a 500w amp connected to it. I use it mainly for a 120v inverter and a 12 to 24v @ 25A converter for some military radios.
prcguy

That's a beefy box you have :lol:


I think that 175A power pole would be overkill for a power cable for a handheld radio :D
 

2112

Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2004
Messages
354
Reaction score
0
Location
OK
I tried RigRunners and PowerPoles in the car, and came to the following conclusions:

The larger PowerPoles are great for wire-to-wire connections in hidden places that you might have to disconnect from time to time. The RigRunner panels I've used inside the car frustrated me because the connectors are bulky but insecure.

Instead of adding even more crap to the pile (zipties/security bars), I switched to a fused distro block from BlueSea:

http://bluesea.com/category/5/21/productline/126

You can get it here for MUCH less than a 12-position RigRunner and PowerLock: http://www.westmarine.com

Anyone looking for slightly used PowerPole stuff should PM me... I might have what you're looking for at a reasonable price. :D I think I have two of the 4005 5-position panels and connectors. I might even part with my heavy-duty crimping tool. Maybe I'll round it all up and post it in a couple days.
 

fineshot1

Member
Joined
Sep 17, 2004
Messages
2,531
Reaction score
24
Location
NJ USA (Republic of NJ)

mesoman

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
0
Reaction score
0
Location
Lewisville, Texas
I am wanting to power multiple radios in a vehicle: 2 Kenwood TK-840's, 1 Kenwood TM-G707, and a couple of scanners. I am currently using a Powerpole Rigrunner but the connections really suck IMO. Has anybody used one of these: http://bluesea.com/category/5/21/products/5025 ??. and/or would it work good in a mobile environment?

I ended up getting the above Bluesea box and it has worked like a champ so far!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top