PreAmp

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKolo

How much better would my PreAmp work if it was mounted on my antenna mast within 6 foot of the antenna ? If it would work better does it have to be in a waterproof enclosure or are they ok just to mount on the mast as they are ?
Does RS sell power inserters ?

Thanks

zz0468

QRT
Banned
You didn't tell us what sort of preamp you have, so we have no way of knowing whether or not it's weather proof.

A general rule of thumb is that the closer to the antenna is, the better it will work. There is a parameter of preamps known as noise figure. In simple terms, that's a measure of a preamp's ability to pull weak signals out of the noise. Loss in front of the preamp, like a long run of coax, adds directly to the overall noise figure, and can't be recovered... ever.

So, a preamp installed at the antenna will work better than the same preamp installed inside, next to the radio.

GKolo

Will it matter what power inserter i order to use with this amp ?
Hoping to come across a cable guy with one sitting on his truck.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
That's still not enough information to work with. What model of Scientific Atlanta preamp? Does it LOOK like it's weatherproof? You can usually tell if something is intended for outdoor mounting.

Scientific Atlanta generally makes satellite and cable tv equipment. What makes you think this preamp is suitable for your intended use? What IS the intended use... a scanner? What sort of antenna will it be hooked up to? What makes you think you even need a pramp?

You gotta give people something to work with, in order to provide answers.

thom

Premium Subscriber
I have an SVI drop amp that works well next to my BCD996 and have wondered if it is waterproof enough to mount it just below the antenna on the roof.

Status
Not open for further replies.