• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

President Mc Kinley USA - fm possible?

vegfly

Hello,

I am European and have the opportunity to get a McKinley USA relatively cheaply. Officially it can only do AM and SSB. Is it possible to modify it so that it can also do FM, or is that not available on the board?

Many thanks and best regards
Chris

vegfly

Not sure but can you get a decent price on the one I linked, that has FM?
There are a few dealers here. I could also buy it here with FM, of course.

Maybe there's someone else here who can answer my question. That would be great.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
There is another thread where it’s speculated that some of the us models are EU models except with a firmware lock on the FM.

There is a site selling FM boards but they don’t have the McKinley listed. Reach out to them and see if they are working on something for that radio

RFI-EMI-GUY

The McKinley model normally sold in Europe already has FM. No need to buy an earlier US McKinley without FM . Edited..

vegfly

There is another thread where it’s speculated that some of the us models are EU models except with a firmware lock on the FM.

There is a site selling FM boards but they don’t have the McKinley listed. Reach out to them and see if they are working on something for that radio

I didn't know this site yet. I'll have a look there. Thank you very much.

vegfly

The McKinley model normally sold in Europe already has FM. No need to buy an earlier US McKinley without FM . Edited..
Well, there was no question of necessity either. My question was (and I'm only asking purely out of interest) whether FM can perhaps be activated by mod.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Well, there was no question of necessity either. My question was (and I'm only asking purely out of interest) whether FM can perhaps be activated by mod.
I would not count on it being restoreable. The hardware might not be present either. I bought a nice ICOM JDM radio and found it was entirely different design than US market and published mods did nothing. The microprocessor and mask, totally different.

vegfly

I would not count on it being restoreable. The hardware might not be present either. I bought a nice ICOM JDM radio and found it was entirely different design than US market and published mods did nothing. The microprocessor and mask, totally different.
I read that a little later the FCC also approved FM operation. So I thought maybe I'd meet someone here who could help me from experience. Maybe it's just a jumper that needs to be plugged in differently (ideally). Then I would risk the 150.- dollars for the experiment :)

You can also get rid of exotics from the US here in Europe, I've never worried about that. You only learn from experience ;)

cheers

RFI-EMI-GUY

I read that a little later the FCC also approved FM operation. So I thought maybe I'd meet someone here who could help me from experience. Maybe it's just a jumper that needs to be plugged in differently (ideally). Then I would risk the 150.- dollars for the experiment :)

You can also get rid of exotics from the US here in Europe, I've never worried about that. You only learn from experience ;)

cheers
Where are you located? I am looking for a HANDIC, radio from Sweden.