Pro 106 AC issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

unlisted

Well, I finally got bored of charging batteries externally, so I went and found a 9 volt power supply, rated at 500 ma.

It works, and has been verified for amperage output and voltage. It won't work with my Pro 106, but it'll work with ANYthing else that is 9 volts.

No matter what I do, it won't run the pro 106, with or without batteries. I pull the AC adapter, and the batteries will turn on the scanner. Plug in the AC adapter again, and its off.

Any ideas or suggestions? Or do I really need to buy the EXACT RadioCrap AC Adapter for this thing?

kilowa22

You need to check the polarity of the plug, it is usually listed on the wall wart plugs label.
For the PRO-106 the internal pin must be positive 9 volts and the external 9 volts negative. The power supply must provide at least 500 mA of current. So anything less than 500 mA is not the right amount and anything with 500 mA or more of current will work with the radio.
HTH,

unlisted

Weird- I was told at about 5 different Radio Shack stores (in the USA) to purchase this for it:
Enercell™ 9V/300mA AC Adapter
Enercell™ 9V/300mA AC Adapter - RadioShack.com

Which, according to you would not be enough power.

I have the tip polarity correct. Plus, this power supply is rated for 500 ma, but it actually outputting closer to 600 ma, at a constant 9 volts DC, so no issue there.

unlisted

Does this use some weird kind of connector? it looks like a standard yellow tip (and thats also what the store employees told me to purchase...)

kilowa22

Weird- I was told at about 5 different Radio Shack stores (in the USA) to purchase this for it:
Enercell™ 9V/300mA AC Adapter
Enercell™ 9V/300mA AC Adapter - RadioShack.com

Which, according to you would not be enough power.

I have the tip polarity correct. Plus, this power supply is rated for 500 ma, but it actually outputting closer to 600 ma, at a constant 9 volts DC, so no issue there.

You have to test wall warts power supply under load for the device. Most likely the mA being produced is not enough to power the unit. You need a power supply with at least 500 mA of current. The 106 has a digital card that consumes a lot of current.

unlisted

Sorry I will be very clear from now on- this is tested under load. (and not under load) The information I have posted is when it is under load. Tested on more than one item.

With the pro 106 it does not do anything. Other items that run on 9 volts read around 600 ma under load.

I'm starting to suspect the power plug may be bad- in the actual scanner. I just tried 1 amp at 9 volts.

skierp20

Premium Subscriber
Okay, SILLY question... I have PRO-162, and there is a toggle switch inside the battery case to set it for Lithium or Alkaline OR for the Wall Charger.

Does the Pro-106 have the same feature?

kilowa22

The 106 Uses battery holders for rechargeable batteries and regular batteries. It also has a time limit setting for charging those batteries.

kilowa22

Sorry I will be very clear from now on- this is tested under load. (and not under load) The information I have posted is when it is under load. Tested on more than one item.

With the pro 106 it does not do anything. Other items that run on 9 volts read around 600 ma under load.

I'm starting to suspect the power plug may be bad- in the actual scanner. I just tried 1 amp at 9 volts.

That would be a possibility since you have tested with a 1A 9v with the same results. Use a VOM to check the connector after opening the radio or send it in to RS repair if it's still under warranty.

NYRHKY94

If you read the following threads, I believe you will find out you may have the same problem that several Pro-106 owners have reported. It appears that the Pro-106 suffers from a manufacturing defect related to the power input. If you try a "6V" AC Adaptor and the scanner works again, that would conform you have the same issue:

http://forums.radioreference.com/radio-shack-scanners/168822-voltage-level-pro-106-question.html

http://forums.radioreference.com/radio-shack-scanners/170056-weird-pro-106-power-issue.html

Status
Not open for further replies.