Pro 106 Charging in Case?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
Hey all,

I have a Pro 106 that I want to start using as a mobile and base scanner, so my plan was to take it with me when I am in the car in the leather case I just bought from ScannerMaster and listen to it. My question is how I will charge it...right now I am using a separate charger to charge my RadioShack rechargable batteries but I use external power to power my scanner right now. When I start taking my scanner around with me in my leather case, my idea was that I would leave the batteries in the yellow battery holder and just recharge it it as needed using the charger in my scanner (so I wouldn't have to take the case off to replace the batteries each time)...does this seem like a logical plan?

Thanks in advance for your ideas!

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
*I just thought about it and what I may do instead is just get an adapter to listen to my scanner via external power in the car instead of using batteries...that may make more sense...

N8IAA

*I just thought about it and what I may do instead is just get an adapter to listen to my scanner via external power in the car instead of using batteries...that may make more sense...

Indeed it will. I certainly wouldn't want to ruin my 106 doing that:( Even though I have it set as alkaline batteries, I don't trust having batteries in the radio when running the dc adapter. Yes I use alkalines over rechargables. Last longer. Just my opinion. Have used both. Have to carry twice as many with me. Again, just my opinion.
Larry

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
I just bought a new leather case from ScannerMaster for my Pro 106 so instead of worrying about the batteries exploding or leaking when I charge it in the scanner or having to remove the case each time to put newly charged batteries in it, I'll just get an AC adapter for the car so I'll use an AC adapter in my home and car - that way all I have to do is transfer the scanner and plug it in :)

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
Sorry to post again - I can't edit my post from last night - anyway, you think I would be better off leaving the batteries out of my Pro 106 alltogether and just use external power sources, either in my car or home. Since I will be putting my leather case on it, then I won't need to take the case off everytime I want to change batteries...that's my idea...what do you think?

However, it would be easier just to charge the batteries with the AC adapter while I have rechargable batteries in the yellow case - that way I never have to take the leather case off and I can just use my scanner until it runs out, then put it on my base stand and charge it for 16 hours I think that's the reccommended time - that's my first choice...

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
If you use the black battery cradle you can leave the batteries in the radio and use external power adapters and avoid using the charging circuit in the radio, removing the source of potential overheating.

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
If you use the black battery cradle you can leave the batteries in the radio and use external power adapters and avoid using the charging circuit in the radio, removing the source of potential overheating.
So you think I should just get an AC adapter for my car (I have one already for my home) and just use the external power but keep a pack of batteries in the black case in the scanner at all times? Regular AA's? Since I won't be using the battery power much, if at all, I will probably never have to take the leather case off to change the batteries, but either way it won't matter since I would be using external power in my car and at home - the batteries are just for backup. It's okay to keep the black battery case in my scanner with the AC adapter connected though, right?

Thanks!! :)

Last edited:

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
So you think I should just get an AC adapter for my car (I have one already for my home) and just use the external power but keep a pack of batteries in the black case in the scanner at all times? Regular AA's? Since I won't be using the battery power much, if at all, I will probably never have to take the leather case off to change the batteries, but either way it won't matter since I would be using external power in my car and at home - the batteries are just for backup. It's okay to keep the black battery case in my scanner with the AC adapter connected though, right?

Thanks!! :)
If using black battery holder stay with 9v DC in car and AC adaptor at home.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
You could get one for the car or an adapter that has an outlet to allow you to use your existing AC adapter. If you not going to use the scanner outside the car, you could leave the batteries out of the scanner. The only problem with leaving the batteries in the scanner for long periods of time in the car is the constant change in temperature range. This can be real hard on the batteries. When in doubt, leave them out.

As for the empty battery case, sure you can leave it in the scanner, nothing to worry about there.

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
If using black battery holder stay with 9v DC in car and AC adaptor at home.

I think that's what I meant lol - just a different kind of plug for the car which will stay in the car and I will keep my AC adapter at home, where it is now.

You could get one for the car or an adapter that has an outlet to allow you to use your existing AC adapter. If you not going to use the scanner outside the car, you could leave the batteries out of the scanner. The only problem with leaving the batteries in the scanner for long periods of time in the car is the constant change in temperature range. This can be real hard on the batteries. When in doubt, leave them out.

As for the empty battery case, sure you can leave it in the scanner, nothing to worry about there.

I did plan on using the scanner both inside my car and at home - mostly at home though. I was going to put the black battery case in the scanner with regular, non-rechargable AA batteries in it - not that I would use them as I would most likely use the external power either from my car or house, but just to be safe - and since I would be having a leather case over my Pro 106 I don't want to take it off each time to replace batteries. The batteries are just a backup so they will last awhile as I will not use them that much, but I will keep them in the scanner in the black battery case just to have them there. I don't think it will do any damage by having the batteries in the black case in my scanner while connected to an external power source, right?

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
I get my leather case today! lol what should I do put regular AA batteries in the black case for backup and just run the power off of my AC or DC adapters depending on where I am?

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
If your going to move the scanner to and from the car, I'd say use the batteries you like, but just use the black charging case.

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
If your going to move the scanner to and from the car, I'd say use the batteries you like, but just use the black charging case.
I was going to move it between my home and car but I was also going to mainly use external power sources so I just want to have batteries in the scanner as a backup if the power goes out or I need to take it with me out of my house or out of my car for something - since the case will be on the scanner I don't want to have to take it off very much to replace the batteries so that may be my best bet...it won't charge the batteries if they're in the black battery case when connected to an external power source, right?

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
The tab that allows for the charging circuit on the battery case does not exist on the black battery cradle, so no you won't be charging the batteries when it is in the scanner.

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.508 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

DaveIN said:
The tab that allows for the charging circuit on the battery case does not exist on the black battery cradle, so no you won't be charging the batteries when it is in the scanner.

Oh ok so what would you do then since I'm going to have a leather case on my scanner should I put regular AA's in the black battery case and put that in my scanner then and use external power mostly?

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
You can put "regular" or rechargeable batteries in the black case only. The advantage of the rechargeable ones is you can pull them out of the black battery holder and recharge them, i.e.have two sets of recharge batteries, one to use while the other re-charges. Either way you can use the external power suitable for the scanner.

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
You can put "regular" or rechargeable batteries in the black case only. The advantage of the rechargeable ones is you can pull them out of the black battery holder and recharge them, i.e.have two sets of recharge batteries, one to use while the other re-charges. Either way you can use the external power suitable for the scanner.
Thanks! What I ended up doing was putting 4 regular AA batteries in the black battery holder (only for backup when I am not using an external power source) and I put my Pro-106 in the cup holder of my car. It is in its brand new leather case! ;) I used regular AA batteries just cause I heard they last a bit longer but it won't really matter since I am using an external power source 99% of the time - every once in awhile I may take it inside to my house for some relaxation lol

I may end up putting my rechargable batteries in the black holder eventually - (I can always charge them using my external charger like I did before) but like I said before I am using an external power source most of the time so that should do it :) I am using my rubber duckie stock antenna in the car (yea, I know lol but it works!!! ;) )

That's the beauty of having a portable scanner! I can use it as a base in my home and as a mobile scanner in my car! :) It's a beautiful thing lol
Oh and I just counted the amount of smiley faces I put in this post and I know it's a lot hahaha ok one more :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.