Pro-106 intermittent operation

Status
Not open for further replies.

setuphelper

Premium Subscriber
hi
I have 2 pro-106 Radio Shack Scanners. Usually I don't make any changes to them & they both work great.
however I have reprogrammed them cleaning out some stuff I no longer wish to hear.one of them I leave plugged in 24/7 and it still works fine..The other I have started carrying with batteries turning on and off frequently. The scanner operating on batteries seemed to work fine at first then stopped talking on several talkgroups. Has anyone else had this problem ? did you find a resolution? is it normal for a scanner memory to take time to "burn in" ?
thanks in advance.

k0aa

hi
I have 2 pro-106 Radio Shack Scanners. Usually I don't make any changes to them & they both work great.
however I have reprogrammed them cleaning out some stuff I no longer wish to hear.one of them I leave plugged in 24/7 and it still works fine..The other I have started carrying with batteries turning on and off frequently. The scanner operating on batteries seemed to work fine at first then stopped talking on several talkgroups. Has anyone else had this problem ? did you find a resolution? is it normal for a scanner memory to take time to "burn in" ?
thanks in advance.
Hello.

I''m not a PRO-106 expert, but I have owned a PRO-106 for 5+ years.

I program my scanner with WIN500. I've changed channels and systems on numerous occasions. As best I can recall, no hiccups have resulted - especially what you are experiencing.

In my opinion, I would expect your issue(s) to be related to programming or loss of control channel signal by not receiving channels from the sites you have selected for the systems being monitored. before thinking it is a hardware defect. I don't know why turning your scanner off and back on would interrupt reception in only some channel configurations or talk groups.

Speaking of hardware defects, I don't turn my scanner off unnecessarily - I lower the volume fully unless I'm through monitoring for several hours in which case I turn off the scanner. Since Radio Shack discontinued maintaining a repair facility for their products, folks like you and me will become highly perplexed if/when something fails and results in a malfunctioning or inoperative scanner.

It's almost impossible to get components to repair Radio Shack scanners these days, and most of us don't have the equipment or knowledge needed to make the repairs even if we could obtain the needed parts.

In my experience with electronics and radio communications equipment, failures of on/off switches usually result in the switches failing in the 'off' position. Hence, that's why I avoid turning off my scanner by turning down the volume to make the scanner quiet.

Hopefully, you will receive more specific assistance from other scanner owners.

setuphelper

Premium Subscriber
Pro-106

Thank you K0aa - i appreciate your input and the advice on the on/off switch. I think i just had to many talkgroups programmed into scanner that appeared to not be working. It seems much better once i removed some of the clutter. Its to bad Radio Shack doest provide any support for owners any more. I agree it would be difficult for me to repair any significant problem
Thanks again - let me know if i can ever be of assistance : )

k0aa

Thank you K0aa - i appreciate your input and the advice on the on/off switch. I think i just had to many talkgroups programmed into scanner that appeared to not be working. It seems much better once i removed some of the clutter. Its to bad Radio Shack doest provide any support for owners any more. I agree it would be difficult for me to repair any significant problem
Thanks again - let me know if i can ever be of assistance : )
You are quite welcome. I'm happy you figured out the solution.

The PRO-106 is a terrific scanner for me. I handle it with care because it is so versatile, and I don't want to have to buy a replacement model.

I live in Colorado Springs. This community has excellent radio systems. I primarily listen to fire agencies, the US forest service and firefighting aircraft. The PRO-106 is ideally suited for my type of monitoring.

Best regards, and Happy monitoring.

setuphelper

Premium Subscriber
Good Morning k0AA , I primary monitor law enforcement & fire in my area. In the western piedmont of NC . Could I just reaffirm something with you ? That is after you program the Pro-106 , there is no wait time until the scanner starts to fully recieve & broadcast ? Thank you again

k0aa

Good Morning k0AA , I primary monitor law enforcement & fire in my area. In the western piedmont of NC . Could I just reaffirm something with you ? That is after you program the Pro-106 , there is no wait time until the scanner starts to fully recieve & broadcast ? Thank you again
Hi. My PRO-106 "pauses" when I turn it on in order for the scanner to receive the trunking systems' control channels which in turn enables the scanner to receive the talk groups that I have selected. If you turn your scanner on while trunking systems are enabled, observe the upper left corner of your scanners display. When the "T" is present, your scanner has acquired the channels and should be ready to provide you with conversations to hear. I only monitor P25 Phase 1 systems. It has been a long time since I monitored Motorola Type 2 systems, and I don't recall if there was any delay in monitoring those systems when the scanner was turned on.

Simple scanning of conventional channels will have little or no delay, but that's not been my experience with the P25 Phase 1 systems.

I hope you have a great week, and Happy Scanning.

setuphelper

Premium Subscriber
K0aa thanks for the follow up , very helpful , have a great week : )

Status
Not open for further replies.