Pro-163 Noise Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

treydawgmt

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

Not sure if this is a scanner question, or more likely an antenna question, but I'm going to start it out here.

I have a Pro-163 Scanner with an Antennacraft antenna. I think it's actually an ST1, it looks like an ST2, but I bought it from a Radio Shack that is part of an appliance store that had found it in storage at their business. It was probably 20 years old when I bought a year or two ago.

Occasionally I get a really strange noise, best described as almost a "fart." I've captured this noise and uploaded it to a You Tube video here. Audio Noise - YouTube. Any idea what this is, and how to best correct it?

N8IAA

Seriously:confused::confused::confused::confused:
Now if you posted the actual scanner with the frequency and the noise, it would be more credible.
Larry

treydawgmt

Premium Subscriber
Larry,

That, seriously, is the noise my scanner makes. On a regular basis, but not every time, and not every frequency. That particular time it was DeKalb County, IL Fire - 153.485.

I don't own a video camera. I do own a phone and iPad that I can record video, but I need to know when it's going to happen, because I can only record video for so long on my phone/iPad. I don't know that. I DO, however, own a Sony MP3 IC Recorder. I placed it on the scanner, cleaned in my office for awhile until it did it.

I edited the mp3 so you didn't have to hear many minutes of dead space, and the only way to put an audio file online on You Tube is to put a picture with it. So that's how I did it.

Now if you actually came here to help, that would be a bit more credible also. I'll try to capture an actual video of this issue, but any one of my friends or family can attest that this scanner setup DOES make this sound on a regular basis.

I have been a member since 2011 and a premium member most of that time, so I'd like to think that should bring a bit of credibility to my name. And the fact that I post occasionally. I'm really trying to fix this problem.

N8IAA

Now, treydawgmt, 130 people have seen your post. Not to sound like I don't believe you, but I've owned 2 163's, and never once have I had my scanner give me the raspberry:)
You say it is random, and on different frequencies. Conventional? Trunked?
Larry

treydawgmt

Premium Subscriber
Larry,

Only conventional frequencies. All in the 150's I believe. I've never owned this scanner before, but I've owned multiple scanner and never experienced anything like this. I have some cheaper coax cable running from my roof into the house through a drilled hole, and then going to the scanner. There is probably an extra 20-25 feet on the roof.

I tried this setup since I had everything at home except the antenna, and then antenna was purchased for like $10 since it was a clearance item. I'm trying to figure out if I have too much extra cable, if I need better cable, if I need a filter, what to do. I want to fix this the correct way, but I don't want to just start buying things and stabbing in the dark to fix it. If I have my portable scanner on me (one of the NASCAR models my wife had, don't remember the model number off the top of my head) it doesn't do it when the 163 is doing it. I don't *think* these noises existed before my antenna setup on the roof, but it has been a little over a year. I've just dealt with it and keep meaning to do something about it.

I believe you that you've never heard it, but really, honestly, it does it multiple times every day. Just hard to know when.

N8IAA

Have you tried the radio on a different antenna? Have you tried other radios on the new/old antenna?
Maybe it's something LE added to keep people from listening:D
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.