Pro-163 Trunk Scanning Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcarson13

My Pro-163 is programmed through the PC. It stops on the control channel, with the motorboat sound, every second or less. It usually is for a fraction of a second, but sometimes longer. It also doesn't hear many of the talk ids. I've tried attenuating with no results. I've doublechecked settings based on the forum posts. Any ideas?

DickH

My Pro-163 is programmed through the PC. It stops on the control channel, with the motorboat sound, every second or less. It usually is for a fraction of a second, but sometimes longer. It also doesn't hear many of the talk ids. I've tried attenuating with no results. I've doublechecked settings based on the forum posts. Any ideas?

... My Pro-163 is programmed through the PC ... What does that mean?

Which system are you monitoring? We need to know City/County/State.

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
Make sure the bank and all channels are set to MOT or ED depending on the system you are monitoring an there are no other stray frequencies programed into the bank.

DickH

I used the usb cable to program the scanner.

I used the usb cable to program the scanner.

Tell us which program you are using. It sounds as if the programming is wrong. If it's
trunking correctly you should never hear the control channel.

Try this to be sure the scanner is working properly.
There are 3 main sites in that system. Choose an empty bank and program the main site
as follows:

TRUNKING PROGRAMMING - PRO-163 & 164

To program a Bank for TRUNKING:
1. Press PROG, then press TRUNK.
2. Press FUNC, then use an UP or DOWN ARROW to select a bank.
3. Repeatedly press MODE to select a trunking mode (Motorola).
4. Press PROG.
5. Enter the control channel freq. 856.6625 and press ENTER.
6. Press SCAN.
Now you should start to see all active Talk Group IDs (TGs).

There are two trunking modes, OPEN and CLOSED:
OPEN lets you hear ALL active TGs
CLOSED lets you hear ONLY the TGs you have put into the SUB-BANKS.
“–” appears for CLOSED mode and “+” appears for OPEN mode under the channel number.
To set OPEN or CLOSED mode for a bank:
1. Press MAN.
2. Use the UP or DOWN ARROW to select a bank.
3. Press FUNC then •/DELAY.

N8IAA

As DickH asked, what software and which system. If it is the Chatham/Effington system, the 163 will work. If it any system that is full P-25, it won't work. Make sure you have the latest firmware updates in the scanner. If you don't, it won't follow the rebanded systems easily.
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.