Pro 164

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ldgat

I just bought the RS PRO 164 and the RS cable and trial software. I do not see the Richmond County(Georgia) Sheriff's Dept. frequencies. It is a trunking system but is not listed on the radioreference database. Any help programming this thing is appreciated.
Dewayne

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
It appears that the area in question is part of the Augusta-Richmond section of the Palmetto 800 trunk system as listed here... (all links are in blue)

Palmetto 800 Trunking System, Various, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies

I'm not in that area, but if this is correct, then the 164 should handle that region just fine. This is a Motorola trunk system - you will need to find which site(s) are closest to you, and program using those.

The 164 is an analog-trunk scanner only - so if you see other talkgroups marked 'D', it won't copy those. Anything marked 'E' is encrypted, and no scanner will copy that.

If what I just said was greek, then a little reading is in order. We have an article in our wiki that will help - just read the 2 links in the Overview section of...

Trunked Radio Systems - The RadioReference Wiki

And while we don't have a user guide (yet) for ARC300 (which is what I think you have - it's important to be specific, as there are 3 packages that support the 164), there is one for the 164...

Easier to Read Pro-164/163 PSR300/C/400/C Scanner Manual

You might want to wander down to the Georgia forum and ask for a file for your area. Be specific and mention which software package you have (ARC300, PSREdit300, Win97) as not all file formats are interchangeable

best regards...Mike

Last edited:

Ldgat

Thanks guys! I am very new and have a lot to learn. I too have learned that this can be expensive. I bought the RS cable and trial software. I now see that for an extra $45 I can download the software and subscription to RR. Is this the best route?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
While that's certainly one way to go, that isn't the only way. You would be better off, frankly, to learn about what your scanner can and can't copy, the basics of trunking and what your system covers, all of which can be found in the links I supplied.

You can even go to the Georgia forum and ask for a file, like I also suggested.

I would strongly encourage you to learn - simply because if you decide to change something, you'd be right back from where you started. Ask questions about your scanner in our RS forum, and Georgia related questions in the Georgia forum. This kind of education is cheap - all it costs is a bit of time...

best regards...Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.