Pro 164

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMale0624

Premium Subscriber
Just went online today to Radio Shack and noticed that the PRO 164 is now selling for $139.99. Guess that mean's that they will probably discontinue the model soon and you won't be able to get part's for it. Anyone ever see what a GRE 500 drop's to in price, I see them for about $350 now.

Chris

mule1075

Feed Provider
Interesting observation how do you know they will discontinue it as it is on sale at this time for that price until the 18th of this month?.Also comparing a Pro-164 to a GRE PSR 500 really is not relevant.Also if they discontinue the 164 how do you know parts will not be available?

Last edited:

CMale0624

Premium Subscriber
No, I really don't want a PRO-164 but merely posted that they dropped the price from $199 to $139 if anyone is looking for an analog scanner. I have a PRO-97 with which the dial doesn't show the frequencies anymore and after contacting Radio Shack they told me that they no longer repair or have part's for them, so I'm left out with that one and it wasn't that old nor did I use it that much.

Yes, I've been looking around for a GRE 500 and the cheapest I've seen is around $350 and was just asking if anyone has seen a better price around then that.

sphipps

When the price drops to a point where it ends with a "7"... then Radio Shack will officially have the scanner on clearance.

Usually Radio Shack discounts clearance items about 60% to 70% when they're officially on their way out, so I'd expect a clearance price around $79 or $89 when it eventually happens. I don't think the PRO-164 is going to be that deeply discounted for awhile. None of our regional stores have them in stock. It's a very popular scanner especially when it goes on sale.

Parts for the PRO-164 should be available for quite awhile. Most GRE handheld scanners use interchangeable parts.

CMale0624

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the tip Steve. I'd still be kind of leary about a scanner that they are phasing out for what would you do if you need part's or service? I have that problem right now with a PRO 97 that has a bad dial.

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
Thanks for the tip Steve. I'd still be kind of leary about a scanner that they are phasing out for what would you do if you need part's or service? I have that problem right now with a PRO 97 that has a bad dial.

Radio Shack does still service the Pro-97. If you are having a problem with the Vol/Squ pot, RSU part number 12429163 in available for $19.46 plus shipping and can be ordered from any Company owned Radio Shack if you want to do the work yourself.

CMale0624

Premium Subscriber
Pro 97

No not having a problem with the Vol/Sq but rather the frequencies don't show up in my view window When I turn it on once in a while it stops on a frequenciy that I had programed into it and I can hear fire dispatch but if you asked me what the frequency was, I wouldn't be able to tell you. The light still works fine though.

Chris

hhrj

Premium Subscriber
Have you tried applying a little pressure with your thumb on different areas of the display. Sometimes this will activate a dead screen for a split second. If this works then it's time to take the scanner apart and check for loose parts.

The light and the display are two different units.

My little Sportys JD100 was a gift in 1999 and the display was always problematic right from the start. I like this airband scanner and have used it a lot, even this afternoon I listened to it while in my shop. If I needed to know what frequency was active I could press on the lower portion of the display and all the digits would appear. About 2 months ago I was bored and decided to take it apart to look at the display and found that the two screws were slightly loose. A half turn each and the display works great for the first time ever.

Emboldened by this I tackled the Pro-60 which the display was missing the 3, 4, and 5...same thing, a loose screw. It now also works just fine.

Your mileage may vary, but it's something to think about. Besides these scanners and HT's are pretty simple to disassemble.

Good Luck
Ron

I just saw the same thing on the website for the PRO-164. It says web only though. I wonder what the price is in the store, if they have it on sale too or is it $199 in store? Im gonna head to the shack here in a bit to check it out. Cant beat the price.

KC5EIB

Feed Provider

So it's the display that is bad instead. I posted the part number for the display in another thread with in the lase few days. You can order it or have a local store send it to the RS service center for a quote on what they would charge. There is a $20 charge that.

Status
Not open for further replies.