Pro 197 scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrs493

I have a pro 197 scanner. I noticed it stopped receiving. So i unscrewed the antenna and radio shut off. Which told me I had a ground issue. Sure enough my ground was disconnected. Fixed the wire and scanner is still not scanning. What component could have been affected by this?

tvengr

Well Known Member
Try using an earpiece or headphones. You may have dirty contacts on the headphone or speaker jack muting the internal speaker.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Is this in a mobile installation? If it doesn't stop scanning, that could be an antenna problem. First, check your squelch setting. Remove the antenna and check if the center pin on the antenna connector is broken off or pushed in.

chrs493

It is. The antenna i believe was acting as the ground I'm assuming when the ground came disconnected. Thats why im wondering if theres a component that could have been grounded out. Ive swapped antennas same issue.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Not having a ground on the scanner without an antenna would only kill the power. It won't short anything out. Did you swap antennas on the vehicle using the same cable and mount? You could have a shorted or open cable killing the signal. Try plugging in a rear of scanner antenna.

Last edited:

chrs493

The reason i feel like it shorted something out is because the antenna was hooked up without a ground. Then when i disconnected the antenna the scanner powered off. Thats why i feel like the radio tried to ground itself out on the antenna. Yes i have tried a whole different antenna set up

ind224

Make sure you have power + and - i.e. good solid connections and at least 12v then your antenna connection even if you are only using the center pin. VCO's want proper voltage. After all that the center pin for the antenna may have broken loose. Just your finger near the connector should bring in weather if you have a nearby station.
Direct enter the weather freq and see if that works.

Last edited:

Bugspro

I have a pro 197 scanner. I noticed it stopped receiving. So i unscrewed the antenna and radio shut off. Which told me I had a ground issue. Sure enough my ground was disconnected. Fixed the wire and scanner is still not scanning. What component could have been affected by this?
Do you try it with a BNC antenna like 765mm? It's always recommanded to put the scanner off before remove antenna. Maybe you short something in your pro197.

Status
Not open for further replies.