Pro 197

Status
Not open for further replies.

Princess49

Premium Subscriber
Hi: I got my new Radio Shack Pro 197 scanner put together and turned on. I managed to save the V scanner folder already programmed in.

Can someone help me from this point on? The book is alittle confusing. I live in Grand Junction, Colorado. Do I need to trunk it or do I have conventional?

Once that is decided, how exactly do I program the numbers in? For Grand Junction PD, MCSO, etc?

Thanks! :)

N8IAA

Hi: I got my new Radio Shack Pro 197 scanner put together and turned on. I managed to save the V scanner folder already programmed in.

Can someone help me from this point on? The book is alittle confusing. I live in Grand Junction, Colorado. Do I need to trunk it or do I have conventional?

Once that is decided, how exactly do I program the numbers in? For Grand Junction PD, MCSO, etc?

Thanks! :)

The V-folder that came with the scanner is unbelievably out of date.

Since you have a premium membership, have you downloaded any programming software? I personally reccommend Win500. More intuitive than Arc-500. Did you purchase the USB programming cable to upload to the scanner? It makes programming the scanner a breeze. I'm sure someone will point you to the easier to read manual. But, unless you really want to learn how to program by hand......
I would ask in the Colorado state forum further down the forums page for better info for your area.
It seems that your county and city are on the Colorado State DTRS.
HTH,
Larry

Princess49

Premium Subscriber
Ref Pro 197

Such a fast reply. Great. Thank you.

Yes, I have the cable. So I just purchase the Win500, download to my computer, then
download from my computer to the scanner? Correct? Just download like a normal
exchange? That's it, correct?

Highpockets

Yes, I have the cable. So I just purchase the Win500, download to my computer, then

Follow the Guide for Win500

Import everything you will want in your scanner from RR using the software, save the file when you have all the info you will want in your scanner. Then upload that info to your scanner.

Make sure the pig tail is not on the end of the cable that plugs into the PC/IF port on the scanner.

Princess49

Premium Subscriber
I guess this post hits all three of my replies, correct?

Thanks for the Utah guide. Ok, I will go on line and purchase the Win500. Any particular website I should get it from? Or does Radio Reference offer it?

Once I get it, I will download to my computer. Which application do I use onee I have
Win500 downloaded?

Once that's done,I then download it to my scanner with the USB Cable. Yes, I have it. I bought it
when I bought the scanner. Do I just download it to the scanner, just like I would send something
from my PC to my cell phone? Do I need the scanner set to something?

Thanks for everyone's replies so far. I love this website.

Carla

N8IAA

Before you upload the file you create for the scanner. Go to page 92 of your manual. Follow the directions to 'initializing' the scanner. You won't lose the V-folders, they can be loaded back up if you want.
Larry

Highpockets

Thanks for the Utah guide. Ok, I will go on line and purchase the Win500. Any particular website I should get it from? Or does Radio Reference offer it?

Once I get it, I will download to my computer. Which application do I use onee I have
Win500 downloaded?

Once that's done,I then download it to my scanner with the USB Cable. Yes, I have it. I bought it
when I bought the scanner. Do I just download it to the scanner, just like I would send something

Carla

First off, Win500 has a 30 day free trail, use it and then if it works for you, register it, you'll most likely use it again many times.

Run Win500 use the web import features (Conventional or Trunked) import all the data you want in your scanner into Win500, save the file.

Then you upload that info (file) using Win500 to your scanner.

"You also have to load the cable driver before you can use Win500".

Last edited:

N8IAA

Win500 downloaded?

Carla

www.starrsoft.com
Larry

RomeRon

Would you guys and gals look at the pictures and tell me if it makes sense, do I need to add or subtract anything. I want to make it as simple as possible with out all the reading, I know I got a headache from reading all the stuff that goes with it in the WIN500 Guide.
Thanks
RomeRon

Attachments

• START_WIN500.jpg
    START_WIN500.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 626
  • WIN500_2.jpg
    WIN500_2.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 595
  • WIN500_3.jpg
    WIN500_3.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 810
Last edited:

Princess49

Premium Subscriber
Thank you everyone! I will do a test run next weekend and let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again! Carla

rwier

Would you guys and gals look at the pictures and tell me if it makes sense, do I need to add or subtract anything. I want to make it as simple as possible with out all the reading, I know I got a headache from reading all the stuff that goes with it in the WIN500 Guide.
Thanks
RomeRon

Wow! A giant spike in the signal to noise ratio. A wonderful example of how internet Forums should work.

Highpockets

Thanks
RomeRon

If you think you can make the Win500 Guide easier to understand feel free to do so, join the Utah Wiki and have at it. :D Your the first to say the guide gave them a headache.

w2xq

Mentor
I didn't want to tell you, Steve, hehe.

Actually, even with your help, it took me more than 30 hours to come up to speed on Win500. Time well spent in the end, but for me there was a learning and experimenting curve. I had skipped the entire trunking era, so OO programming was foreign to me.

Highpockets

I didn't want to tell you, Steve, hehe.

Actually, even with your help, it took me more than 30 hours to come up to speed on Win500. Time well spent in the end, but for me there was a learning and experimenting curve. I had skipped the entire trunking era, so OO programming was foreign to me.

I'm all for making the Guide better, we tried to cover all things you may run into when programming, nothing enabled, other errors, one file over-writes another. It is a learning curve, but we tried to get users up and running and also learn a little about what you may run into. Two of the fellows that were involved are now passed, and to tell you the truth a little of the wind has been taken out of my sails. If someone wants to make that Guide better, go for it! Brent & Frank were always open to keeping it up to date and making it better...

RomeRon

I'm all for making the Guide better, we tried to cover all things you may run into when programming, nothing enabled, other errors, one file over-writes another. It is a learning curve, but we tried to get users up and running and also learn a little about what you may run into. Two of the fellows that were involved are now passed, and to tell you the truth a little of the wind has been taken out of my sails. If someone wants to make that Guide better, go for it! Brent & Frank were always open to keeping it up to date and making it better...

"we tried to cover all things you may run into when programming, nothing enabled, other errors, one file over-writes another. It is a learning curve, but we tried to get users up and running and also learn a little about what you may run into."

I was in no way knocking the WIN 500 guide, it is well written and has every thing covered. The thing with me is to much information over loads my pea brain.

Highpockets

I was in no way knocking the WIN 500 guide, it is well written and has every thing covered. The thing with me is to much information over loads my pea brain.

What you have done so far looks good, keep working on it, maybe the Guide needs a 2012 look, make changes if you think they will better the Guide. :D

w2xq

Mentor
Steve, I hope you realize I was kidding, Your efforts are always appreciated. I was coming from the angle that despite everything it took me a long time to wrap my old brain around OO programming and to become reasonably comfortable in using the software. Still learning. But I also believe that a purchaser of any OO programming software package should expect to put some effort into the learning curve. IMHO unrealistic to do otherwise.

Highpockets

Steve, I hope you realize I was kidding, Your efforts are always appreciated. I was coming from the angle that despite everything it took me a long time to wrap my old brain around OO programming and to become reasonably comfortable in using the software. Still learning. But I also believe that a purchaser of any OO programming software package should expect to put some effort into the learning curve. IMHO unrealistic to do otherwise.

Of course I knew you were kidding, that's where the threw me under the bus comment came from. :D Don't call me Scott! :D Although, that's a compliment.

Status
Not open for further replies.