Pro 2006 parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ubbe

There are no adjacent pins you can short to try and trigger a button press.
You can short pin 1 to either 9-10-11 to see if button 3-6-9 will get activated.
Pin 13 are ground, if you wish to verify that you count the pins from the correct end.

Those diods you cut to make it work in different frequency bands are also part of the scanning matrix for the keypad so make sure that they are not accidently touching anything else.

/Ubbe

moonbounce

Scanner now operational, found my problem, it was a wire going into one of the many plugs, it was loose. Plug was at the top of the radio, keyboard now works perfect. All I have to do is put all of my frequencies back on lol.

MB

moonbounce

Good News MB, Nice Result.

Thanks Radiostationx I checked out the keyboard and couldn't find anything wrong there, and when I would hit the reset button all the banks came on so I knew it wasn't anything to do with a component.

I also have an old Realistic Pro 2020 that I bought new ( yeah I know I own relics but hey ). Anyways one of the things I have learned about owning Realistic radios is that they have bad wire harness connections. The only reason I figured this one out was that I remembered how the Pro 2020 would go silent. I would take it apart and move the same plug in the same location as the Pro 2006 and the sound would come back. So to anyone who owns any scanner, if you have any similar problems always check out the wire harness and plugs, especially if you own a Realistic radio.

Thanks
MB

Ubbe

Cable problem even exists in newer scanners. You have to remove and reinsert cables to make them work again. I have one BCT15 that looses its display backlight and it works a couple of weeks if I exercise its cable on the main board connector.

/Ubbe

moonbounce

Cable problem even exists in newer scanners. You have to remove and reinsert cables to make them work again. I have one BCT15 that looses its display backlight and it works a couple of weeks if I exercise its cable on the main board connector.

/Ubbe

Spray some WD40 on a que tip and rub it on the pins. works wonders.

MB

radiostationx

In hobby radio eqpt generally, The quality of the pin headers and cables is very poor.
The quality of the solder in modern hobby grade radios (post 2004/5 I would say as a rough guide) are especially is particularly bad.
Perhaps in the middle of that decade all manufacturers said..
"Right, thats that, from now on we are gonna make these things near to impossible to service and repair, there is no money for us in that game ".."I know we will use 70% superglue mixed with some hard as nails solder".."Brilliant", "Genius"

..a lightbulb moment
I dont know, the jury is out, but it seems that way.

Recently I was surprised at a Tecsun radios solder, it was very difficult to work with.
Its not the tree huggers (lead free solder crowd), its money, every bit of saving that can be made will be made.

If you get weird faults that come and go with a pro-2042, you can bet your last dime its cable/connector issues.
A great radio, let down by silly inter board connectivity.
I have been around the block a good few times on 2042s before realising it was cables/connectors causing all sorts of strange things to happen.

Last edited:

Ubbe

It's probably the moist weather in england that cause corrosion, or perhaps heavy pipe smoking.

My mother used to smoke one package a day. That's 10 minutes of smoking, a 20 minute wait and then another cigarette and 10 minute of smoking.
The electronics in her living room usually survived 5 years until they started to act strangly. But sometimes it was user error. "Urban, (she refused to call my anything else than the name she gave me at birth) the remote for the TV doesn't work!" "-Well mother dear, that's probably because you're holding the wireless phone in your hand!"

/Ubbe

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
The PRO-2020 was in the Radio Shack catalog from 1982 until 1986.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Spray some WD40 on a que tip and rub it on the pins. works wonders.

MB
Gack! Keep that crap out there, unless you are trying to displace water. (As the name of the product tells.) Even then, I would use better products.

If you want something to keep connectors, or potentiometers, from oxidizing, use one of the Caig products made for that. (R2, R5, etc...)

Sent using Tapatalk

radiostationx

JustLou, I think the seller has it wrong, more like $11.80 if its anything like your previous bargains !

For cleaning PCBs and connectors, I use 99% purity IPA, something like this

https://www.amazon.com/Isopropyl-Al...F8&qid=1540632006&sr=8-3&keywords=isopropanol

A gallon would last a radio repair hobbyist a lifetime as you only need a Q tip full to do 3 or 4 connectors.
Magic on scratchy switches if a drop is placed carefully inside using a 1 ml pipette.

31YGPEFTlmL.jpg

One caveat, you must keep this away from kids or pets, no ifs no buts, extremely dangerous if even very small amounts are ingested.

Last edited:

smason

Scanner now operational, found my problem, it was a wire going into one of the many plugs, it was loose. Plug was at the top of the radio, keyboard now works perfect. All I have to do is put all of my frequencies back on lol.

MB

Great news!
Love those old scanners. Have a 2004 and a 2006.
My dad had a 2020 back in the early 80's. Slow and low channel capacity by today's standards, but was an absolute wonder when it was new.

Agree with Krokus WD-40 has no place in electronics! Use Nu-Trol or Deoxit or something specifically called contact cleaner.

moonbounce

Great news!
Love those old scanners. Have a 2004 and a 2006.
My dad had a 2020 back in the early 80's. Slow and low channel capacity by today's standards, but was an absolute wonder when it was new.

Agree with Krokus WD-40 has no place in electronics! Use Nu-Trol or Deoxit or something specifically called contact cleaner.

Thanks for all the suggestions I will try and find a better alternative to WD 40 but where I live it might be a difficult task. I don't purchase on line and it is hard to find a local store that would sell that kind of spray.

It is like no one fixes anything anymore they just buy new stuff.

MB

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber
Hey folks - any thoughts on a replacement volume control for my 2006? According to the schematic, it is VR802, 50K ohm. I could probably do the job, but don't know where to find a replacement for the pot.

moonbounce

I found some LPS Electro contact cleaner that I had in my home ( it is like 20 years old) and sprayed my volume control on my 2006. I had also thought of replacing my volume control because it was so scratchy. After I took it outside and sprayed it, the volume control is now like a normal on/off volume control, you would never think there anything ever wrong with it.

Also I sprayed all of my wire harness plugs as they were also not working to good, now it is like I have a brand new 2006.

MB

Status
Not open for further replies.