Pro 2052

Status
Not open for further replies.

scansomd

A friend of mine at work just came into possession of a PRO 2052. He has asked me to program it for him.

I have few questions:

1). What is the most popular software to program it with? I am considering this program:
http://www.qsl.net/kd5lmy/software1.htm Is there a program you would recommend over this one?

2). What sort of cable is required to attach the scanner to my PC? Is it nothing more than a standard DB 9 cable?

(Yes, I have looked at the wiki page http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Pro-2052)

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
To me ScanControl is far superior to any other software. RadioCommander is shareware and has only been upgraded once in several years.

Other programming software are as follows
WinScanRS (no longer available to my knowledge)
RadioCommander (your link)
ProScan 2052 (not sure if available)
Trunk Manager (not sure available)

Also, a free-bee called ID Tracker is available but cannot be used for programming.

The only software in my listing which can import data other then directly from a programmed 2052, is ScanControl. The others require considerable typing directly into blocks in the software dialog. ScanControl will import from a file built in excel (copy/paste) and saved in csv format. This saves a bundle of time. BTW, since you are only programming the scanner, the cheaper ScanControl Lite will suffice.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Scansomd, what is your friend interested in, and where? I have version 5.2.3 and can easily build files.

73s Mike

[edit] I just loaded 6.0.0 so I'm up to date <chuckle>

Last edited:

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
scansomd said:
2). What sort of cable is required to attach the scanner to my PC? Is it nothing more than a standard DB 9 cable?
Correct, through cable w/male on one end and female on the other.

scansomd

ka3jjz said:
Scansomd, what is your friend interested in, and where? I have version 5.2.3 and can easily build files.

73s Mike

[edit] I just loaded 6.0.0 so I'm up to date <chuckle>

:) He just wants Police & Fire for Saint Mary's and Calvert Counties (Maryland)

Caesar

scancontrol is for sure easier and more user friend and overall a better program, i have used the demo and am also using the radiocommander software, i would advise to have him try both. i prefer scancontrol but not to pay 60$ for it over 15$ for radiocommander, so i will probably be going with radiocommander myself, but i believe these are the best two for the pro2052...

and if he ONLy wants it for programming and not for remote control, then i'd suggest radiocommander or one of the freeware programs....

keithmj

Saint Petersburg, Pinellas County, Florida
Hi..as was said ScanControl is the one to get. Looking at the date on the bottom of the scanner it will read something like 07A04 on a little silver sticker, this is the month and year, ScanCat will not work properly on the newer PRO-2052s but will work with those older than I think with the last number below 01A01 or those that will not scan Conv and Trunk at the same time. Any of the other programs except ScanControl are junk for the PRO-2052, I know I have them. I use Radio Shacks Cable, Part number 20-047 USB, without any problems but you have to use the little pigtail that comes with it..Cheers..Keithmj

Last edited:

Caesar

the newer ones start with 04A03 , but scancontrol works for both from what i read on the site, you might just need the new ver 6 for it....

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
No, version 6.0 adds voice recording to the 2052 capabilities- in fact, SC has been working with the 2052 since version 4.0, I believe. 73s Mike

keithmj

Saint Petersburg, Pinellas County, Florida
Caesar said:
the newer ones start with 04A03 , but scancontrol works for both from what i read on the site, you might just need the new ver 6 for it....

Hi..I wasn't sure what one dual scanning started with. I had 04A03 down but then changed it. I have a 07A04 and a 07A01. When I first tried ScanCat, before I got ScanControl, I was using the 07A01 and in 2005 I got a good deal on the 07A04. I was using the trial version of ScanCat and was going to buy it but then I tried it on the newer scanner and ScanCat wouldn't work, so I contacted them several times and never received an answer so I tried ScanControl. I had the same problem with ScanControl so I contacted Kend_2 and told him about it and I think it was less than a week that they had a fix for it and came out with a new ScanControl version that worked on both versions of my PRO-2052 07A01 and 07A04. ScanControl is the only one that I can get to work with this scanner. My next scanners are going to be bought thru their online store because I am pleased with the way they have treated me in the past..And I think they have a Great Product..Cheers..Keithmj

Status
Not open for further replies.