Pro 668 antenna range

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeBeCinYa

I have a Pro 668, and I have a couple questions about signal range. I realize that there are many factors sometimes with terrain, ect...but what is the typical range for 668 with the 800mhz RS antenna?

Reason I ask, I am moving to a more rural area and may need to buy an external antenna for outside of my home to pick up transmissions. Will be listening to 150 mhz freq mostly...maybe a few 400 mhz.

Any recommendations appreciated on antenna set up too!

Thanks!

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
The unit its self really doesnt determine the range. Its more of the system (conventional or trunking) and frequency band your trying to monitor.
Example, a conventional VHF frequency may run higher power then a P25 trunking simulcast system.
I would get to the location first, find what you want to monitor then assess if your looking for better reception on VHF, UHF or 800 or a combination of them or all of them. Based on that you can then narrow down a better antenna for the handheld or maybe a roof antenna.
You may be in a situation where VHF comes in great but your not close to a 800 trunking system so an external antenna for 800 would be all you need.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
I have a Pro 668, and I have a couple questions about signal range. I realize that there are many factors sometimes with terrain, ect...but what is the typical range for 668 with the 800mhz RS antenna?

Reason I ask, I am moving to a more rural area and may need to buy an external antenna for outside of my home to pick up transmissions. Will be listening to 150 mhz freq mostly...maybe a few 400 mhz.

Any recommendations appreciated on antenna set up too!

Thanks!

I pickup 450mhz analog 30 miles away. I would plan on getting a better external antenna and possibly a signal booster amp.

I currently use a over the air (OTA) TV antenna system I have in my attic. Because I had everything but BNC to "F" adapters.

NC1

I will be moving soon to a more (very) rural area myself, but will be ridge top at 2,800' elevation with 360 degree views.

Even with those advantages, I will be installing a homebrew SlimJim about 10' above the roof which should be more than adequate for VHF / UHF / 800 MHz reception.

You should make one for yourself and see how it goes for a few months. I assume that most (if not all) of your reception will be from a repeater, so I doubt you will need anything more than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.