Pro-96 help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jconner00

Good evening everyone. I have been scanning for a while and moved to an area that required a digital scanner last year. So I went and spent $400 on a radioshack pro-96 scanner and have been successfully listning to all of Cobb County, Georgia since then. My only issue is that sometimes (fairly frequently) I will get a LOUD, ANNOYING noise that kind of sounds like static but, is not static. It's almost like something is interfering with my signal. I've done research online and can't find anyone else with this problem, I have several antennas that I have used so I know that is not the problem. Anyone have this same issue? Or can anyone tell me how to fix it?

I will say that my scanner is placed in the same room as my wireless router when I am at home, I am not sure if that is the problem because I get the same noise once in a while when I am portable with the scanner. Although I do hear the noise more at home where I have an; iPhone, Blackberry, two Macs, a printer, an apple airport express and another laptop connected to my wifi...

Someone please help! I love my scanner but get sooooo annoyed when that noise starts!

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
More information needed. Do you hear it on a specific frequency or talkgroup? It sounds like you're hearing some encrypted sigs, or perhaps a frequency that is in P25 mode, but you have it programmed as analog. There are too many other possibilities to narrow this down. The fact that when you are away from your router the noise is less prevalent, but you still hear it, tends to suggest it is not the router that is at fault. Hearing pagers is another possibility, particularly on the VHF hi band.

73 Mike

Last edited:

freqs

COBB CO does have 2 talk groups that are encrypted (SWAT) .Also I did have trouble with my scanner and a wireless router it would lock it up in search mode .And my nextel messed up the scanner as well with data burst sounds

SCPD

QRT
Cellphone

Good evening everyone. I have been scanning for a while and moved to an area that required a digital scanner last year. So I went and spent $400 on a radioshack pro-96 scanner and have been successfully listning to all of Cobb County, Georgia since then. My only issue is that sometimes (fairly frequently) I will get a LOUD, ANNOYING noise that kind of sounds like static but, is not static. It's almost like something is interfering with my signal. I've done research online and can't find anyone else with this problem, I have several antennas that I have used so I know that is not the problem. Anyone have this same issue? Or can anyone tell me how to fix it?

I will say that my scanner is placed in the same room as my wireless router when I am at home, I am not sure if that is the problem because I get the same noise once in a while when I am portable with the scanner. Although I do hear the noise more at home where I have an; iPhone, Blackberry, two Macs, a printer, an apple airport express and another laptop connected to my wifi...

Someone please help! I love my scanner but get sooooo annoyed when that noise starts!

Does this last about two seconds? You could be picking up the "ack" databurst from your cellphone.

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
I get that occasionally and moreso when near a cell tower or low signal and seems to be because the rig did not receive the disconnect code and keeps monitoring i.e. it hears the cc data.

As Wyandotte stated when my friend with a Nextel rides with me I frequently get his phone's noise.

If you do not have the latest firmware update try that. If you do, conversely, some in the forum have had luck returning to the 1.2 version.

jconner00

it varys on the length that the scanner makes the noise. Sometimes it can last up to 30 seconds. How do I get the latest firmware? I have WIn96 on my computer and did program it using that but, I wasnt aware that I can get updates for it!

rmiller818

It is just the scanner not decoding the digital signal all the time and the Pro-96 just unmutes the undecoded signal so you hear a static type burst. My 96 does this some as well (it is being used for the Cobb cities feed) DSP Version 1.4 seems to help it some but don't be surprised if you still hear that undecoded digital signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.