Pro 96 Programing

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicdoot

I went online and found the local Fairfax County EMT/Fire frequency and figured out how to program them into my new Pro 96 scanner. I put in about 10 different channels and they all seemed to store under channel 1, 2, 3, etc.

I am hearing the first channel that I programed and I hear it all the time (EMT/Fire). Did I store the other ones right as I don't hear any of them coming up.

N8IAA

I went online and found the local Fairfax County EMT/Fire frequency and figured out how to program them into my new Pro 96 scanner. I put in about 10 different channels and they all seemed to store under channel 1, 2, 3, etc.

I am hearing the first channel that I programed and I hear it all the time (EMT/Fire). Did I store the other ones right as I don't hear any of them coming up.
When you say 10 different channels, what are you talking about? When I looked at Fairfax County, Virginia, there was 4 CC's. It is set up in the MOT mode for the bank, MOT mode for the CC's. I presume you are talking about the public safety system.
Larry

N8IAA

I went to this website:

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=2848

And I added all Fire/ETt and others I was interested in.

OK, do you have 860.2625, 857.2625, 858.2625, 859.2625 programmed into one bank that is MOT, and the frequencies as MOT? The FD and EMS conventional frequencies are for talkaround when they are on site or talking to each other. The FD dispatch is simulcast from the TRS. If you are using Win96, you can PM me with the file and I can take a look at it for you.
Larry

nicdoot

OK, do you have 860.2625, 857.2625, 858.2625, 859.2625 programmed into one bank that is MOT, and the frequencies as MOT? The FD and EMS conventional frequencies are for talkaround when they are on site or talking to each other. The FD dispatch is simulcast from the TRS. If you are using Win96, you can PM me with the file and I can take a look at it for you.
Larry

Hi Larry,

ok I am not sure what MOT means. Not sure what you mean about the file and Win96. I am new to this and enjoying this learning experience. I am not sure if I have all of them in one bank or not. I just hit program and put the number in and hit enter. It seemed to put them into channel 1, 2, 3, etc. as far as I could tell but when I hit scan or turn it on I only hear the first channel (EMT) that I programed.

N8IAA

Hi Larry,

ok I am not sure what MOT means. Not sure what you mean about the file and Win96. I am new to this and enjoying this learning experience. I am not sure if I have all of them in one bank or not. I just hit program and put the number in and hit enter. It seemed to put them into channel 1, 2, 3, etc. as far as I could tell but when I hit scan or turn it on I only hear the first channel (EMT) that I programed.

What frequencies do you have programmed into the scanner? MOTorola mode. It is explained in the manual on page 33. Win96 is programming software for the Pro-96. It has a free thirty day trial before you need to purchase the key. It can be downloaded here: http://www.starrsoft.com
Makes it a lot easier to program the radio. You will probably need to go to the Shack and get the 20-047 USB cable, or, if you are lucky, the 20-289 serial cable. Let me know what frequencies you have programmed. It will make it easier for me to help you.
Larry

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Larry,
I think nicdoot likely programmed these Fairfax conventional frequencies.
460.57500 KXX528 B 94.8 PL 4A Fire Dispatch (Simulcast from TRS) FM Fire Dispatch
866.86250 WPPA560 M 94.8 PL 4N FDTA1 Fire/EMS Talk-Around 1 (COG/RINS 5) FM Fire-Talk
867.76250 WPPA560 M 94.8 PL 4O FDTA2 Fire/EMS Talk-Around 2 (COG/RINS 6) FM Fire-Talk
154.28000 KXX528 B CSQ Fire Mutual Aid Radio System (F-MARS) FM Interop

nicdoot,
If so, Larry is trying to get you to set the Fairfax County Public Safety Motorola SmartZone system. http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=182

Win96 as suggested by Larry is the way to go but meantime, click on the Wiki Programming Shortcut link under my signature. Open the Pro-96 link.

N8IAA

Larry,
460.57500 KXX528 B 94.8 PL 4A Fire Dispatch (Simulcast from TRS) FM Fire Dispatch
866.86250 WPPA560 M 94.8 PL 4N FDTA1 Fire/EMS Talk-Around 1 (COG/RINS 5) FM Fire-Talk
867.76250 WPPA560 M 94.8 PL 4O FDTA2 Fire/EMS Talk-Around 2 (COG/RINS 6) FM Fire-Talk

nicdoot,
If so, Larry is trying to get you to set the Fairfax County Public Safety Motorola SmartZone system. http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=182

Win96 as suggested by Larry is the way to go but meantime, click on the Wiki Programming Shortcut link under my signature. Open the Pro-96 link.

That is what I figured too. The only one that will be active is the simulcast frequency. Those 800mhz will be extremely hard to hear unless you are right on top of the scene.
Larry

bobbyyoung

I have the cable and drivers loaded I have loaded win 96 and web import for my area. when I select done I don't see the channels that I want to down load. when I select upload to scanner I only seethe pre program items and the screen reads all channel locked out. CAn you help

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Bobby,

Open device manager and check the + next to Ports (COM & LPT). The USB to Serial port will be listed.
Open the Configuration Menu in Win96 and select Serial Port. Match the USB port above in Win96.
Retry sending to scanner.

bobbyyoung

send to scanner

all ports are corect via the screen the communication is there. the channels are locked

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
When you click Channels Tab in Win96, do you see any frequencies listed in any of the 10 banks?

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
You apparently didn't check and freqs to import. Retry Web Import of same system and check the frequency box. You won't need to check TG box as they will stay as you previously selected.

bobbyyoung

I am trying to get frew for Chesterfield county, va. under the chesterfield pd all I see is HEX andDEC numbers

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Chesterfield system is joint with Henrico and Richmond.
Open the file and type in these four controls and set them to MOT by clicking next to each under Rx Mode.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
can you turn a dec/hex into a freq
They are in the Talkgroup section of the database, DEC number is the ID (talkgroup) number and what you program in ID section of scanner. The user radio use the HEX value, your scanner does not.

You wrote this earlier: " no freq. on the bottom right I see the ids that I want". Those ID numbers are the DEC value and you likely imported alpha tags with them but failed to check the frequency box prior to import. Thus, the scanner has no frequencies to scan and will indicate "All Channels Locked Out" until properly programmed.

The owners manual discusses Trunking very extensively and Radio Reference Wiki section has considerable info on Trunking. Both discuss how the control frequency for trunking systems function with respect to voice frequencies and talkgroups. You will need to grasp at least a basic understanding of how this works.

I and others have tried to help you get the scanner correctly programmed even though info is available for you to find some of the answers yourself. nicdoot started this thread, and I hope found solutions to original question regarding Fairfax County VA.

nicdoot

Larry,

nicdoot,

Yes I input those 4 and also a few others I was interested in. This seems a bit complicated to me. I wasn't sure why there wasn't any police frequencies. I will probably try the Win 96 but won't be around as much this summer so might try it later when I can listen to it more.

Didn't see how on my scanner you could specify where you want the frequency to go (although the manual said you could). So am I hearing just the first one I put in? If so maybe I can figure out how to store the others separately.

This seems a bit confusing over emails. Kind of like talking someone through tech support for computers. hehe

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Yes I input those 4 and also a few others I was interested in. This seems a bit complicated to me. I wasn't sure why there wasn't any police frequencies. I will probably try the Win 96 but won't be around as much this summer so might try it later when I can listen to it more.

Didn't see how on my scanner you could specify where you want the frequency to go (although the manual said you could). So am I hearing just the first one I put in? If so maybe I can figure out how to store the others separately.

This seems a bit confusing over emails. Kind of like talking someone through tech support for computers. hehe
Earlier I pointed you to this Fairfax Motorola trunking system http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=182 which has all police, fire, sheriff, city services and cities of Herndon, Falls Church and Vienna talkgroups.

Find the RR Wiki Pro-96 Programming Shortcut by clicking on the link under my signature. It provides a step by step process for manually programming Fairfax Motorola frequencies and talkgroups. BTW, you will only need to program the Red and Blue control frequencies from the Fairfax trunking page.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.