Pro 96 Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

chargedbird

Greetings all,
I have moved to Oklahoma, and have been using digital trunking, using the Freq and Alpha Tags.
How do I program the PRO-96 for a DMR Mode. I am trying to program the PRO-96 for Beggs, OK. The following is what I am trying to program is below. Can someone please tell me how to program the PRO-96 for these freqs. Any links, videos, etc. will be greatly appreciated.

Ciao~
BH

Frequency License Type Tone Alpha Tag Description Mode Tag
151.07000 KKQ373 RMCC 13
TG 1091
SL 2
Beggs PolicePolice DIspatch DMR Law Dispatch
154.25750 WQIS484 RMCC 13
TG 1090
SL 2
Beggs FireFire Dispatch DMR Fire Dispatch

chargedbird

Incorrect, The Pro 96 can decode P25 Phase-I, NOT DMR. At the least the OP will need a Whistler TRX-1 with DMR support out of the box or a Uniden 325p2, 436HP or SDS100 which support DMR with a paid upgrade

Thank you very everybody, I did find out, just like Whiskey3JMC said, the PRO 96 can NOT decode the DMR. So I am in the market for a DMR Scanner, and I will take Whiskey recommendations. I would like to know which one can I program thru windows (laptop) however if not available, which Scanner that supports DMR is worth the money. Is the Whistler TRX-1 with DMR Support the better scanner to purchase???

Thanks again for the help!!!!!

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
I would like to know which one can I program thru windows (laptop)
Sorry I should have provided the link to the wiki I used in the screenshot, so here it is. If you click on each scanner's link, most of them contain a supporting software or "third party applications" summary. Pretty sure most/all can be programmed using a Windows laptop

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thank you very everybody, I did find out, just like Whiskey3JMC said, the PRO 96 can NOT decode the DMR. So I am in the market for a DMR Scanner, and I will take Whiskey recommendations. I would like to know which one can I program thru windows (laptop) however if not available, which Scanner that supports DMR is worth the money. Is the Whistler TRX-1 with DMR Support the better scanner to purchase???

Thanks again for the help!!!!!
All of the scanners Whiskey3 listed are programmed with software that runs on Windows machines.

The GRE/RadioShack/Whistler scanners that support DMR do not actually track the systems. They can receive DMR radio traffic, and you can enter talkgroups, but they do not trunk-track DMR. The Uniden scanners, with a paid upgrade, can track the systems, so you can follow a specific talkgroup, which the other scanners cannot do. However, if your target system is not extremely busy, you may not have an issue dealing with the agencies in Okmulgee County. The TRX-1, along with the other Whistler/GRE/RadioShack scanners do not do well with simulcast systems, but you do not have such a system in your location. The TRX-1 will also receive NXDN systems. Again, like DMR, it does not track the system, but can receive radio traffic on programmed talkgroups. The database does not show any NXDN systems in your county. KAMO Power, in some of your adjacent counties, is on a NXDN system, and there are a couple of others in your region, but not your specific county.

chargedbird

Steve,
Per this link: SDS100 I can pay for an upgrade DMR, EDACS and NXDN. So I am thinking that the SDS100 can receive NXDN. The cost of the upgrades are ok to me, if they actually track the systems. What is your opinion of this issue....I am leaning towards the SDS100 with the upgrades. I do travel around this area and having access to all radio traffic will be nice to have..... Once again, any and all comments, suggestions and recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Ciao~
BH

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Steve,
Per this link: SDS100 I can pay for an upgrade DMR, EDACS and NXDN. So I am thinking that the SDS100 can receive NXDN. The cost of the upgrades are ok to me, if they actually track the systems. What is your opinion of this issue....I am leaning towards the SDS100 with the upgrades. I do travel around this area and having access to all radio traffic will be nice to have..... Once again, any and all comments, suggestions and recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Ciao~
BH
By the "EDACS" upgrade, I presume you are referring to ProVoice. The only EDACS system in Oklahoma was Oklahoma City, but those users are migrating to a P25 system, and from what I've read in the Oklahoma forum, the old system will be shut down once everyone has changed to the new system. You'd be wasting money to buy that upgrade, since EDACS/ProVoice is no longer supported by the manufacturer, and most every system has either moved on, or soon will be.

I have two NXDN Public Safety systems in my area:
That system covers three cities in Dallas County: Cedar Hill, Desoto, & Duncanville.

This one covers Lancaster, also in Dallas County.
I have no problem following either of these systems using the SDS100, or other Uniden scanners that also have the upgrade.

There is only one DMR public Safety system in Dallas County, Highland Park. It's not a really active system, and they are moving to a different system here locally, GMRS.

My TRX-1 can receive any of these three systems, but does not track them, and you cannot easily follow a specific talkgroup; you can do that with one of the upgraded Uniden scanners.

However, the SDS100 (and the other upgraded scanners) easily follow the Megahertz DMR system, which has multiple sites here in North Central Texas. One major user is a local air medical provider, CareFlite, which has six copters based in this region. There are a number of other business users, not of interest to me, but the county hospitals in Dallas & Tarrant County (Parkland & John Peter Smith) also are on Megahertz.

The biggest advantage of the SDS100 (or SDS200) is the way it can deal with simulcast P25 systems. You do not have simulcast in your specific county, though that can be an issue in nearby Tulsa County, or if you went to OK City. If you travel to or through virtually any large metro area, you are just about guaranteed to run into simulcast either there or along the way.

The SDS series scanners, as well as the x36HP units (436HP & 536HP) are database scanners. So, if you plan to travel, you can use a GPS unit & let the scanner virtually program itself as you go. The 436HP is not as good on simulcast as the SDS100, but otherwise it is a good choice & is noticeably less expensive.

The 325P2, and it's base/mobile sibling the 996P2, can also be upgraded for DMR and/or NXDN, but their drawback is that they have problems with simulcast. That's not an issue for you in your home county, but could be if you traveled elsewhere. As these are not database scanners, you would need to program them for your specific area.

You do need DMR for your home county.

But there's very little NXDN in range of you, so you might pass on that upgrade for now. You can always add it later if more users near you change to that format. Don't purchase the upgrade if & when you purchase a scanner. You can do that yourself at MyUniden, for $25 or more less (per upgrade) than what a dealer would charge you. I would not pay for programming either, especially for an SDS or x36HP scanner. You can jump start your listening by updating the database & using your location. That can get you started while you get used to Sentinel & set up your own Favorites lists. Lots of YouTube videos on that, as well as a number of Wiki articles, can help you along the way.

I have been reading a lot on the sds100 and sds200. I agree that these are very good scanners. I just read a previous post on the cost of the sds 100 and if I read correctly this scanner cost about 700.00 plus another 600-650 for all of the upgrades and extra accessaries i am sorry but right now I cannot justify the cost, plus I am still concerned about all the problems it has had.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I should point out that for your home county, the DMR channels are not in a ‘trunked’ system such as the Megahertz system in my area. Instead, your county is using conventional channels in a DMR mode. In order to utilize the talkgroups listed in the database, on a Uniden scanner you should program them a One Frequency Trunked systems. In your specific case, the ability to track the system does not come into play, and a scanner such as Whistler’s TRX-1 would handle your county just as well. The SDS100 would have an advantage if you were to travel to or through areas with simulcast systems.

chargedbird

Steve... Wow lots of information, I must tell you that I was born and raised in Dallas and raised in Grand Prairie!! Had to re-locate to San Diego due to the Navy, (yup retired Chief, Electronics Technician). When in San Diego, I used the PRO-96 for many years as they use the trunked systems and talk groups, so I understand how they work. As you know the PRO-96 is old and I moved to Beggs OK. So I am learning how the systems out here work. I just want to make sure that the new scanner I buy will work in this area as well as the Tulsa County, Okmuglee County, and even Dallas county, (when I travel back home to check up on my parents). My travels will be mainly from Okmuglee County to Dallas County. Plus I stay home most of the time. Now with that said and you know my travel areas do you still recommend the SDS100 or the TRX-1. Finally do you have any vendors that will treat me good, meaning good customer service and price. Based on the all the info, I will mainly be listing to DMR

Nasby

I have been reading a lot on the sds100 and sds200. I agree that these are very good scanners. I just read a previous post on the cost of the sds 100 and if I read correctly this scanner cost about 700.00 plus another 600-650 for all of the upgrades and extra accessaries i am sorry but right now I cannot justify the cost, plus I am still concerned about all the problems it has had.

You can find them for around $600. I've seen them as low as $500 on the used market.

The upgrades are only $60 per upgrade. There are only 3 upgrades available (DMR, NXDN and Provoice) so the max cost would be and extra $180.

While they are not cheap, they are the only real option if scanning is your hobby and you want a SCANNER that will work with simulcast systems.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Steve... Wow lots of information, I must tell you that I was born and raised in Dallas and raised in Grand Prairie!! Had to re-locate to San Diego due to the Navy, (yup retired Chief, Electronics Technician). When in San Diego, I used the PRO-96 for many years as they use the trunked systems and talk groups, so I understand how they work. As you know the PRO-96 is old and I moved to Beggs OK. So I am learning how the systems out here work. I just want to make sure that the new scanner I buy will work in this area as well as the Tulsa County, Okmuglee County, and even Dallas county, (when I travel back home to check up on my parents). My travels will be mainly from Okmuglee County to Dallas County. Plus I stay home most of the time. Now with that said and you know my travel areas do you still recommend the SDS100 or the TRX-1. Finally do you have any vendors that will treat me good, meaning good customer service and price. Based on the all the info, I will mainly be listing to DMR
If you want the Tulsa area, as well as the periodic travel down here to Dallas to see the folks, then the SDS100 is your best choice. All of the major cities in the DFW Metro area, as well as the counties & the majority of the smaller towns, are either already on P25 simulcast systems, or are headed that way. Denton County has a P25 Phase II system, covering the county, city of Denton, as well as Lewisville, Flower Mound, & most of the small towns. In Collin County, Frisco is on it's own simulcast system, as is McKinney. Collin County, as well as the smaller towns where the county handles their dispatching, is moving to the PAWM system, used by Plano, Allen, and others. In Tarrant County, virtually everyone (except Hurst) is on some part of FWRRS; all of it's various sites are simulcast. Simulcast sites on FWRRS are also in use in Ellis & Johnson County. In Dallas County, all of the larger suburbs are on various P25 P25 simulcast systems. Dallas, as well as Dallas County, are still conventional Vhf & Uhf for the most part, but they are building a new P25 system which should go live, I think, within the next year or so.

For the SDS100, unless you can get a deal on a previously owned unit, the cost (new) is about $650 from any of the better dealers. That would include ScannerMaster, Bearcat Warehouse, and HRO. Dealer Webtron-x sells on Amazon as well as eBay & has not had any major issues posted. Main Trading (in Paris, TX) has not had any bad raps that I've seen. He shows a "store demo" SDS100 for $599.00. (He almost always lists 'store demos' for the SDS100 & SDS200 at a lower cost.) I would shy away from Zip's Scanners. Their customer service is totally unpredictable, from good to absolutely unacceptable. (See this long thread. It finally has a decent ending, but it was a war at times.)

Don't pay anyone to program an SDS100. Far too easy to do it yourself after reading some of the Wiki articles & viewing any one of a multitude of YouTube videos. Any number of us here, including myself, can easily create a starter Favorites list to jump start your listening, or just update the database & use your location. In your case, I would only add the DMR upgrade, which you need for your home county. Purchasing it directly, when you register the scanner on MyUniden, will save $25 or more as opposed to having the dealer do it. If, at some point, you start to see NXDN in use around you, that upgrade can be added later (the price is very unlikely to increase). There are two public safety NXDN systems here in Dallas County, which I mentioned earlier in post #10. So, I did buy the NXDN.

Status
Not open for further replies.