Pro 96 squelch problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiltzy

Premium Subscriber
Hi guys, just happened to purchase a pro-96 (used) and when I input my local frequencies all i get is static. I'm leaning toward a possible bad squelch pot? I am not able to receive anything yet as it starts to scan and then locks on a channel and all i hear is static. has anyone had this similar problem? I would like to narrow down the problem before i try and send it away. Thanks

Hello Hiltzy. I had a pro 96 and never had that problem. It's been a while since I sold mine. did you program the control frequency. There are two as I'm sure you know for your City.

One is the main control and the other the alternate. you can put them both in or just the main control channel. 143.0700c 142.3500a These are the two for your area.

I'm sure other people will pop up on here and try to give their advice or what it could be. I don't know to much myself, I'm still learning my pro-106

Last edited:

hiltzy

Premium Subscriber
Hi,
yeah, I have added the control and alternate freq's in bank 1 and have set the offset and step as well. Do i need to add talkgroups or will the scanner pick them up itself? I'm thinking it may be a bad squelch pot or a loose connection inside that is making the static. i have added conventional frequencies as well, and they are all static. Since i live in Canada its almost impossible to order parts from radioshack so I'm hoping the local radio store can fix it for me.

mciupa

Database Admin
Are you programming the Town of Wingham freq's or
Fleetnet Site 36 Wingham 141.405, 141.630, 142.350, 142.695, 143.070

If it is the town freq's, it may need a repair job, if it is Fleetnet, your programming may be suspect.

hiltzy

Premium Subscriber
I have programmed the fleetnet frequencies. but still not receiving anything. Conventional channels also have static/open squelch. Still scratching my head wondering what the problem could be?

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
sounds like a bad squelch knob if you get static on the conventional channels too

the pro-96 is known for the knobs going bad.

maybe somebody in the US can order the knob and send it to you... there us to be a Hazel at RadioShack in texas who shipped to Canada but doesnt seem like she is at the same number.

hiltzy

Premium Subscriber
yeah I wouldn't be surprised about the knobs. I'm hoping a shot of contact cleaner might do the trick. if not last resort is to take it in for repair. Does squelch play a factor in listening to digital channels like opp? cause it will scan digital without stopping on a frequency with static but if i manually go to the control channel i hear static.

Status
Not open for further replies.