Pro-96 Won't Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

minasha

My Pro-96 turns on and stays locked in the DSP boot up screen but never goes to the welcome screen.
There's no way to press any buttons or use a paper clip to reset it just stays frozen.
Has anyone ever figured out how this can be fixed?

Thank You

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Sounds bricked to me. Have you taken the battery out for a minute, then reattached it and turned the scanner on?

kruser

Premium Subscriber
My Pro-96 turns on and stays locked in the DSP boot up screen but never goes to the welcome screen.
There's no way to press any buttons or use a paper clip to reset it just stays frozen.
Has anyone ever figured out how this can be fixed?

Thank You

Can you take a pic and post it here or type in "Exactly" what it says after power on?

These radios are virtually brick proof as they have a hard coded boot loader that runs a recovery mode which allows flash software to run.

Swipesy

I have not used that radio in years but I do recall having a similar issue and could only resolve it by reloading the firmware. If you don't have the latest firmware for that radio I do and can send to you.

minasha

Can't load anything it never gets to welcome screen. Can't press any buttons can't load any firmware.
I was hoping someone might know a repair on the logic board where this problem likely comes from.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Can't load anything it never gets to welcome screen. Can't press any buttons can't load any firmware.
I was hoping someone might know a repair on the logic board where this problem likely comes from.

Now you say it says nothing but yesterday you said it gets to a DSP screen.
Which is it??

Does it say something like: waiting for pC APP?
If so, it's in the bootloader mode and what Ronaldski linked will fix it as long as you have the programming cable.

Swipesy

Minasha, have you tried plugging your programming cable into your PC and into your Pro-96 (turned off). Then turn on the Pro-96 and see if your PC shows a Com port that is assigned to the Pro-96? If you see a Com port assigned (I assume you are using Windows and not a MAC) then you can reinstall the Firmware. You may have to do a search with Windows to find new hardware attached. If you cannot get the PC and Scanner to communicate then your only hope would be to send the radio to someone like G&G Communications for repair (call first). However, you are dealing with a 15 year + old scanner and hardly worth the repair cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.