Pro-97 Sensitivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

scosgt

Well, I have just about every scanner there is, including the BR330T and 396 and 296 and 796 (well, you get the idea).
This is my second Pro-97. I bought one new, then grabbed one on Ebay for $100 and returned the new one to RS.
As I mentioned on the Yahoo forums, there are two versions of the Pro-97. This one is 1.0
The "new" one was not impressive, and I was thinking of returning it anyway.
This "used" one, v1.0, s/n C017XXX is the most sensitive radio I have ever had. The 800 Mhz performance is amazing. Using the RS 800 Mhz Duckie, I am sitting here for days listening to New Jersey State Police ANYPLACE IN THE HOUSE.
Some of my other radios are able to receive this system, but only with amps and moving around the house to the right "spot". This is one loud and clear. My 330, to be fair, does receive this system pretty well here, but not as good as the 97. The 396, sitting right beside it, generally hears nothing!
For the record, I live in New York, Long Island, East of New York City, so I must be a pretty fair distance from the NJSP towers. I am just amazed at how good this radio receives.
In the car is another matter, it constantly goes "in and out", but I think that is related to the inability to get the duck up over the dash due to the size of the radio (I can velcro the 330 to the dash, and it works MUCH better.
Anyone else have this experience? Again, the newer v1.1 97 just was NOT as good.
Oh, and I have good knobs on this one, they are separated and work great, and they are probably original, as I did not buy this unit from a scanner buff who would have known about replacing the knobs.

NYG

Where are you on Long Island? Just to get a better idea the distance you're receiving it at.

scosgt

Where I am...

NYG said:
Where are you on Long Island? Just to get a better idea the distance you're receiving it at.

On the Queens/Nassau line, South Shore. Near where the Cross Island Parkway meets the Belt/Southern State Parkways. Not far from JFK airport, if that is easier.

Now there may not be many obstructions, natural or man made between me and the transmitter. To put that in perspective, I could see the WTC towers from my one story roof when I was playing with my outside antenna (which sadly is not cut for 800Mhz). Way off in the distance of course.

hsdtech

I have a Pro-97, not sure which version but it always worked GREAT on 800MHz. I bought it new a year ago this month.
I have been using the R.S. 800MHz antenna until yesterday when I received my Diamond HT/Scanner antenna.
NOW it REALLY works great on 800MHz. I'm pulling in neigboring systems a LOT stronger, and also anywhere inside or outside of my house. No more signals cutting in and out. Also amazing on my Yaesu VX-5R HT.
If you haven't heard of this great antenna check out the post in the Antenna Forum.

-Bill

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
bonus1331 said:
Are there really two versions of the 97?

If you look at the bottom of the radio, the version 1.0 says "Mutli-System Trunking Scanner", the newer version says "Triple-Trunking Scanner".

scanall

Two Pro- 97s I have a new pro 97 about three months old. And a old version build date ( 01A05 ) I cannot tell any difference in them. Both work great. Found the old one in a pawn shop for $80.00. Used a clone cable and cloned them just alike.

bonus1331

I'm looking to pick one of these up specifically for the increased sensitivity. Anyone else hear a difference between the two versions?

crippledchicken

Premium Subscriber
i myself, can't vouch if there is any difference between new/old versions as i haven't got to try both but, i can say that my new version runs neck and neck, with my pro 2006 base on conventional scanning much to my surprise! but, is more scanner than i need. who knows i guess some day my town may come out with some trunking to try it out on. LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.