Pro 97 vs Pro 164 vs PSR 300

Status
Not open for further replies.

cousinkix1953

The Pro 97

I picked up a sealed Pro 97 on EBAY for $125.00 a couple of months ago. That stock rubber duckie (is the first thing that should be replaced) with a decent after market VHF/UHF B&C antenna. It makes one helluva difference; when listening to traffic in outlying areas. These go for less than ten bucks on the EBAY auction sites.

I have no need for a digital scanner yet. The only thing you're gonna hear is the scrambled feds and the simulcast of a sheriff's primary channel 1 repeater in a surrounding county...

RadMarv

Premium Subscriber
Just recently found this forum.

I just purchased the PRO-164 ($184.01 out the door) I didn't need the adapter since I've got one for the PRO-94 and just needed the "C" adaptor (*** FREE *** - the 94 uses an "H") and have just been tinkering and searching the web since.

I will agree that the manual is big time deficient. Tried to find out how to reset (re-initialize) the scanner from the manual but was looking for the word reset not initialize? Oh well, my fault.

I couldn't get the scanner to accept the addendum frequencies and after an initialize (reset) it accepted the addendum program setting.

Oh well that was fun.

I've ordered the Data cable from RS and have downloaded and looked at WIN97 and it looks like an excellent, easy to use program. Just waiting on the cable.

I checked my firmware version by finally locating the key stroke and found it on the web and NOT the manual.

Turn on the unit and press 3 while the initializing screen is on.

Mine comes up with...

CPU Application
version 1.00

I find that Radio Shack has a Firmware version 1.02 available at...

http://rsk.imageg.net/graphics/uc/rsk/Support/SoftwareDownload/2000163_v102.exe

I also find that GRE has their Firmware version at 1.03. They also show a version 1.02.

Radio Shack version 1.02 has a date of 3/13/08 and GRE version 1.02 has 2/22/08. Radio Shack does not describe what issues this firmware addresses.

The GRE version 1.03 has a release date of 5/1/08 so I wonder if a similar version for RS will be released?

Radio Shack's version is 420Kb and GRE is 170.92Kb and the GRE 1.03 version is 245.55Kb. From what I understand about EPROM programming this may be the difference in the units and makes them incompatible. The EPROM software might be looking for another programmed chip that verifies the unit as being an RS or GRE brand and will not allow interchangeable usage or data cloning.

I just plan on enjoying the scanner and don't consider this my hobby. I look forward to digesting all of the info I can here on this forum. Looks GREAT!

medicrn582

No sure the best radio, but I was wondering what you are going to do with the scanner? I have one that doesn't work also and I was hoping to replace a component thats broken. Thanks, Jeff

pkivolowitz

Premium Subscriber
I had a 164 and completely lost the ability to Trunk, did a reset and re-programmed the radio twice with No fix. took it back for a 97.

I know this is an old topic, but I wanted to add that I just had the exact same thing happen to my 164. I've worked on it for at least 12 hours and it will no longer register any trunking broadcasts.

Any help on this?

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
Anyone know how to factory reset a PRO-164? I cant seem to find it in the manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.