pro-97

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkwolf

Premium Subscriber
what is everyones thoughts about this scanner good bad not worth the buy .........

KD5WLX

The -95 is a great scanner, but not worth over about $100. For comparison, the -97 has PL decode that the 95 does not, plus several other features, and is only $159 retail during the (frequent) sales. The 95 may cease to work on some Motorola systems with rebanding, but whether that is a factor depends on what you use it for.

I have one, and would prefer the 97 for the PL tones - that's useful on the ham bands and some of the VHF fire departments (shared freqs, different PLs - so you can program each with its own PL and tag, and know who you're hearing. On the 95, you can program the same freq twice with two different text tags, but it will stop on both regardless of which one it really is. You can also close the bank and only hear one of the two (if you only have one of them programmed).

I (personally, IMNSHO) the 96 is a waste, at least for the time being. In Tulsa, there just isn't enough digital to justify the price (more than 3x the 97), especially since everything that is digital is also encrypted.

Of course, that is subject to change in the future, but since no plans have been announced, why borrow trouble.

Chaos703

I have both a 95 and a 97. I would second everything Jay said but also add that the 97 is twice the scanner as the 95 making the 95 not worth its cost unless you can find one for less than $50.

SABRE46

I have a 97 and a 96. The 97 is a better scanner. The 96 is pretty deaf in the lower bands and the only place mine gets used is at the base where I can listen to fire and security police. Thats about the only digital in the OKC area worth listening to. (sometimes the cops at tiinker make that fact debatebable.)

rockhound

Darkwolf, I've had my Pro-95 for about 5 years and its been a keeper, but as trixwagen says no rebanding. So with that in mind. if you can buy a Pro-95 cheap enough to be disposeable go for it. The Pro-97 mentioned here has no rebanding support either, but the Pro-164 is a basically the same radio as the 97 w/ rebanding as well as a couple of other upgrades and fixing a few bugs from what I've read about it. I found a used one about a week ago in the "Radio Equipment for sale" forum and so far I'm very pleased.

Status
Not open for further replies.