Pro96 Backlight & Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

VintageJon

How much do ya'll use the light in yer Pro 96? Since I got the alpha tags going I use mine quiet a lot and find the battery life suffers.

Ya'lls experiences?

(Of course I just discovered I had a set of 100mAH in it and have changed to 1800mAH set)

73's,
Jon

Dubbin

Feed Provider
I think I always have the light on. Do yourself a favor and get even bigger batteries.

bassmkenk2508

i use the light all the time when indoors.

and regarding batteries, i believe the largest capacity i have seen in stores are like 2500 mAh (Ni-MH ones) which is what i use.

rpowley

I really hadn't thought about it until now.......I use the 2500 mAh in all of my scanners. I very seldom use the back light on the 96, but use it most of the time on my 97. I do keep 2 sets of batteries charged, or charging for quick swap outs.

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
Premium Subscriber
I use 2500 mAh and 2300 mAh Ni-MH Everyready in my 96 which is on from about 2215 til the batteries die, usually about 12 hours later.... the backlight is illuminated for most of that time because I have the thing set to come on when i touch a key.... (One set as back-up because I frequently work longer than 12 hrs, one set charged in the radio the other in a Maha340.)

My 97 has a set of 2500 mAh Powerx Ni-MH that usually last the 12 hours the 96 is on (I listen to them while working).

I really haven't noticed an appreciable difference in the life with or without the light....

scannersnstuff

the battery life on the pro-97 is pretty outstanding.i timed around 14 hour's in scan.most of the time using the backlight.this included listening to a fairly busy pd.i use energizer 2500 mah nimh.i have 20 of them.i have various other brand's of nimh aa batteries.but the energizer's seem to work the best.i have these backed up with a substantial cache of alkaline aa's.remeember folk's hurricane season is upon us.my pop live's in hurricane alley.twice in the last few year's he lost his power to a hurricane.and once it was for 14 day's ! .

kc7vtr

I think I know the answer to this already but I'll ask anyway. :)

Can the backlight in the the Pro-96 be set to come on when a transmission is received? I tend to keep the light on all the time but it's a waste while the thing is scanning.

DELCOLHFC

kc7vtr said:
I think I know the answer to this already but I'll ask anyway. :)

Can the backlight in the the Pro-96 be set to come on when a transmission is received? I tend to keep the light on all the time but it's a waste while the thing is scanning.

Nope, not on the 96, sorry I wish it did.

Pro-96 backlight/batteries

You can get the eveready 2500 mah batteries at Walmart. I believe you can get an 8 pack. I use these in all of my scanners.

Mark

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
Premium Subscriber
kc7vtr said:
You can manipulate when it comes on with the Settings panel on Win 96... You can select "on (with) first key" or "first key ignored"... but mine just stays on, keeps me company on backwoods roads and such......

VintageJon

THANKS ALL for replies.

After a week with 1800mAH set I am very satisfied with battery-charge life.
Wating for 2400 mAH ro go back on sale, (yeah, I;m cheap).

73's,
Jon

dangitdoug

Have you tried wiring your radio to a vehicle battery charger. I know what your going to say, "TOO HEAVY"

They come with wheels. Some people drag oxygen tanks around. Scanner nuts drag power sources around. Makes sense, right??

Status
Not open for further replies.