R6 Problem with Icom R6 "skip" function

KB2GOM

The other day I was happily using the R6 to scan its pre-programmed marine frequencies when noise popped up on one of the channels. I attempted to use the skip function to skip it . . . and only succeeded in deleting the channel. (fortunately I was able to reload the software and the channel).

So I figure there must be some trick to using the skip function . . . hellllllp! (please?)

Frankly, I find the Uniden BC 125 AT . . . with its temporary lock-out . . . much easier to use.

KB2GOM

That is correct. I had to have a play with mine to remember how to do it!
And remember SKIP and PSKIP are different
Since you brought it up, what is the difference?

Have I got it right that SKIP skips a frequency during a memory scan and that PSKIP will also skip the frequency during a frequency search?

Air490

Since you brought it up, what is the difference?

Have I got it right that SKIP skips a frequency during a memory scan and that PSKIP will also skip the frequency during a frequency search?
That's right. PSKIP will skip that frequency during a VFO scan, as well as skipping that frequency in a memory or bank scan.

KB2GOM

That's right. PSKIP will skip that frequency during a VFO scan, as well as skipping that frequency in a memory or bank scan.
(Not bragging; just context) I wrote about science, tech, and medicine from a layman's perspective for nearly 50 years. I find most of the manuals for ham equipment to be substandard. In fact, there is a whole cottage industry that has sprung up to correct this deficiency (Manuals from Nifty Accessories comes to mind; I'm looking at one right now for my Yaesu VX-6R).

The best trouble-shooting section I ever saw was in a manual for a Wang dedicated word processor. It had three columns.

It said. If you see THIS; it means THIS; do THIS. Simple, direct, and it worked like crazy.

Air490

Hahaha I don't disagree! I think after many years of "speaking Icom", I can now find what I need easily but they aren't always the easiest manuals to navigate

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
The manual to my old Icom 24AT was a nightmare. It was my first HT and wow. Everything it did was called "Scan". Ridiculous. The only modern manual I can think of that is as useless is the one for my Uniden SDS200. Sheesh.

KB2GOM

The manual to my old Icom 24AT was a nightmare. It was my first HT and wow. Everything it did was called "Scan". Ridiculous. The only modern manual I can think of that is as useless is the one for my Uniden SDS200. Sheesh.
To quote myself from another post:

"I'm sorry, but when you plunk down 700 bucks for a scanner, you ought to get a better manual than the 55-page guide that comes in the box. If I were grading this manual, I would give it a "C." For $700, you ought to get an A+ manual to go with your awesome scanner..

The "Controls and Indicators" section even says: "It is not a comprehensive list of all functions in all modes." Well, then, where is it? In addition, the information in the chart ought to be keyed to a diagram of the front panel of the SDS200, like many of the ham radio manuals. If I had to guess, I would say that this manual was written by an engineer had deep product knowledge but relatively little understanding of what an ignorant first-time user needs to know.

The process that should have happened is that a good writer should have interviewed one of Uniden's tech gurus at length about everything a user needs to know, while taking copious notes. The writer than crafts a user-friendly manual, and then -- and this is the key part -- they hand the manual and an SDS200 to someone who knows actually NOTHING about scanners to see if that person, using the manual, can get the scanner to work properly. Parts of the manual that are not clear will be unearthed, and after a couple of iterations, the manual will be what it needs to be."