Problems programming viperand P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

dodgeman250

Hello,
I am new to the forum and not sure it this should be in this forum or the Radio Shack forum. I have a Pro-2096 scanner. I have been receiving Viper over the last few years and recently not receiving no where near what I was. I live in Davie County and am receiving the EMS, Fire, and Sheriff's office dispatch on 800 mhz. I only hear the Hwy Patrol now on one of the Sheriff's office control channels, and nothing compared to the Hwy Patrol I hear when listening online. I have been using the Win 96 software to program it. I am not sure if I need to change the offsets or anything else.

I have read and searched through pages and pages for hours in the forums and cannot find a solution to get what I was hearing before. I recently had a stroke, so my reading and understanding of things is no where what it used to be. To be honest, I am my wits end with this scanner. I know when more areas including Davie switch to 700 mhz, I will have to buy a new scanner, but in the meantime was hoping to get a little more use out of this one.

Can someone lead me in the right direction or is someone local that would be willing to help me get my scanner programed where I am hearing more again.

Any insight or help is greatly appreciated.

Lloyd

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
Hello there,

Well, this is why you aren't hearing as much: BOTH sites in Davie County are now on 700 MHz -- both Sheffield and Mocksville. The Clemmons site remains on 800 MHz (at least for now) as does the Yadkin Rest Area and Fox Mountain sites.

If you aren't too far away, the Clemmons site usually carries most, if not all, of the Davie County traffic.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance!

dodgeman250

Sorry for different username, misplaced my info. Thanks for your reply.

I finally got it working last night after reading the thread on frequency drift and adjusting the pots on the scanner. Took it apart and put it under my magnifying light and a little at a time adusted the V1 pot as suggested in the post by going back and forth to NOAA weather . I was picking up the Clemmons site for Davie before, but could not pick up SHP from the Suaratown Mountain site. W.S. Pd and Forsyth Sheriff were coming in but not clearly.

Now I am picking up Clemmons, Sauratown Mountain site, Forsyth County, and W.S. Pd great after adjustments. Any idea if Davie County is going to 700mhz and if so when. Then I will have to upgrade scanners.

Thanks again for the info, and to everyone else that viewed my post in an effort to help.

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
Glad you were able to get the other sites working... that's good news!

And as I stated in my above post, the Davie County sites are already 700 MHz. Both sites in the county are now on 700 MHz. There is one in Sheffield near the Iredell County line and one in Mocksville.

dodgeman250

Glad you were able to get the other sites working... that's good news!

And as I stated in my above post, the Davie County sites are already 700 MHz. Both sites in the county are now on 700 MHz. There is one in Sheffield near the Iredell County line and one in Mocksville.
I saw that there were (2) Viper sites for 700 mhz in Davie. Do you know if Davie Sheriff Office, EMS, and Fire are going to 700 MHZ in the near future, or are they broadcasting on both 700 and 800 mhz at the present time. I know EMS and Fire and still simulcasting on VHF.

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
They won't go exclusively 700 MHz unless all the tower sites around here are switched to 700 MHz. All Davie County agencies will associate with the towers in and around their county regardless of if they are 700 or 800 MHz.

As for VHF/UHF, I would expect that Fire will stay on VHF the longest due to the number of VFDs, but the Sheriff's simulcast has already be deactivated, and most if not all EMS comms go directly into VIPER now rather than on VHF.

Status
Not open for further replies.