Problems with USB programming cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd6ecz

Okay... I've managed to install the Radio Shack USB Programming Cable (20-047) successfully on both my laptop and desktop PCs at home. I am trying to get it to work on the PC I have at work and I'm not having any luck. The driver CD was cracked so I downloaded the drivers from the Radio Shack web site and was able to naviage to and install them using the "Found New Hardware Wizard." I am now trying to access the memory on my Pro-96 using a demo copy of Win96 and I keep getting a "Failed to read back the sent data (as expected with a functional cable!). Ensure that a supported cable is connected to the correct COM port (COM 1)." error.

Did I not intall the drivers correctly or is there some way to tell Win96 that I am using a USB cable and not a serial cable? It's been so long since I've done this that I don't recall.

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
Win96 cannot tell what kind of cable is being used and it works with either type. Check the Device Manager on your computer to see if the cable is correctly installed and also to see what COM port number has been assigned.

bezking

Ensure that you have correctly selected a COMPORT. COM3 and COM4 seem to be popular for the radioshack cables.

n2mdk

The cable is a USB to serial adapter, you need to open Windows Device Manager look under Ports COM & LPT and see which port the computer assigned the cable. Make sure the cable is plugged in when you check.

kd6ecz

AH HA! It was showing up as COM 3 in the Device Manager. I switched Win96 over to COM 3 and it's working fine now.

Thank you all so much for the speedy replies!

Status
Not open for further replies.