Program a Motorola MTP3250 radio to listen to Honolulu Police/fire/ems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakes_tornado

Hello people!

I was wondering if I were to have a Motorola MTP3250 (which costs a hell of a lot of money) would I be able to program the Honolulu police/fire/ems onto different talk groups on the mtp3000? Somehow, I thought it would be a great idea, so I want to try. Either that or streaming it live over a talkgroup. If you know what the answer is to either one of these comfusing question, please, leave a reply, I am really excited to see if a EDACS Provoice Digital radio system would be recieved over a tetra radio. (Which the u.s. doesn't even use)

Thank you peoples, hoping for a reply.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Well firstly, you'd need a radio that does the same digital format. TETRA isn't even close to ProVoice.

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
I think he is referring to some videos I saw on Youtube where a British chap has a pair of TETRA radios and has them set up so that one is connected to his computer and transmitting whatever is heard from a live audio stream on his PC to the other radio which he carries around and listens with.

If that's the case then two compatible radios are required and one needs to be connected to the audio out of the PC which is receiving a live audio stream from wherever.

jakes_tornado

I think he is referring to some videos I saw on Youtube where a British chap has a pair of TETRA radios and has them set up so that one is connected to his computer and transmitting whatever is heard from a live audio stream on his PC to the other radio which he carries around and listens with.

If that's the case then two compatible radios are required and one needs to be connected to the audio out of the PC which is receiving a live audio stream from wherever.

Yes, thats the one :)

Alright, I will have to try that out then, Thanks!

Sybex7254

Isn't it easier and more cost effective to just use one of the Uniden scanners that has the Pro Voice upgrade installed? From what I hear on the audio feeds, it sounds pretty good.

Citywide173

Feed Provider
Isn't it easier and more cost effective to just use one of the Uniden scanners that has the Pro Voice upgrade installed? From what I hear on the audio feeds, it sounds pretty good.

I think the "if" is the key word. Seems that he's already financially invested here.

if I were to have a Motorola MTP3250 (which costs a hell of a lot of money)

Citywide173

Feed Provider
The setup using two radios, one connected to a computer feed and transmitting to the other is possible with either radio. Of course getting this to work the way you want it is dependent on many other issues. Are you licensed on the frequency that you'll be broadcasting the feed on? Is the MTP3250 type accepted for use on the service you intend to use? Does the service you intend to use allow this type of transmission? What kind of distance are you looking to cover? Without the proper infrastructure in place, portable to portable range will be limited. The advice given above to get a ProVoice Capable x36 series scanner is probably the best option.

Status
Not open for further replies.