Programming a couple new radios

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I just bought some new radios for my warehouse guys and I figured the programming would be easy. But none of the guys know how to do it so I'm asking for some help. I have the software and the cable, I just cannot understand this.

1) Can I use any frequency I want? And should your Rx and Tx frequencies be the same? Should my Tx power be higher or is it a drain on the quality of a radio?

2) What exactly is this optional signaling?

3) What does BCL mean?

4) Should I use wideband or narrowband?

5) What type of SP Unmute/Mute system should I use?

6) What should my values be for the quiet tone/channel? What is a good number?

7) What is the PTT ID? What should I use as the style and type?

Thanks in advance. I appreciate your help.

John

skipshark773

Given the nature of your queries, I believe it is best to seek help through an authorized radio shop. I would not attempt to program the radios if you have not had experience in doing so. Depending on what type of radio they are, mistakes in programming or the hardware used to program the radios can render them inoperable or perminantly damaged. You will also need to obtain an FCC licence before transmitting on any frequency, a radio shop will be able to help you with that as well. I do not suggest programming "any" frequency in, as this would be in violation of federal law and could potentially land you in some pretty hot water.

Again, check your yellow pages or dex for a radio shop and give them a call. I'm sure someone who has been in the area longer than me can give you the name of a good shop too.

gcheno

Premium Subscriber
I'm sure there are several listed in the yellow pages, but I've used BearCom for different projects... Their Denver number is 720-904-5860. I'm sure they can file a form 601 for you and help you program your radios once you get a license.

Moosemedic

Funny, I was stopped dead in my tracks with the questions;

Who in the world sold this entire suitcase of stuff to someone with obviously NO CLUE AT ALL ?

It's the reckless ability to do just what he's asking that is causing problems for those of us trying to simply add a PL tone without paying a Radio Shop $100

But to add a constructive answer, what's wrong with the ususal GMRS / FRS Freq's being programmed? Sure it's illegal power levels, in what is my assumption GP350's or HT1000's purchased on Ebay... That's a much better answer than having this guy pick a local FREQ (Fire/Law/EMS) and having the FCC spend the next month driving around town looking for him.

So in an attempt to assist; Are these radios UHF or VHF? Pick a Business band Freq, inside a warehouse, make it simplex (same TX and RX) , narrowband then add a PL...let's say 103.5 on both sides, skip the signalling, PTT ID's and all the rest at factory defaults, and if you've got chargers these things will be in all night, high power is fine. Just realize that a 5 watt GMRS radio will interfere with the legal users.

Last edited:

skipshark773

Moosemedic said:
Funny, I was stopped dead in my tracks with the questions;

Moose,
Your questions were of a different nature. This fellow just wants to be able to use business frequencies to coordinate his wharehouse activities. You were asking us to assist you in having a radio programmed to access and use the state DTRS. I am not trying to be harsh or mean but these are two disparate things. The days of squirreling away a personal radio have basically come and gone. Trying to get an unauthorized radio programmed onto the state's system will cause you alot more grief than it would be worth. Whats more, you could end up with a $3,500 paperweight when the radio gets noticed and inhibited. It wasn't too long ago that someone here posted a long article about a fellow who pretended to be a DHMC paramedic who ended up in prison. We just dont want to see that happening to you. I believe you had stated somewhere before that you were an EMT, the best thing to do here would be to check with your FPD/VFD/ect. and get an authorized radio onto the system. Ok, digression over. Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

I just want it for my warehouse

I don't want to do anything illegal or get on any wrong frequencies. This is why I'm asking, so I don't get in any trouble. Thank you for the replies, if anyone has any more informartion on obtaining a frequency, that would be awesome. I am also going to check out BearCom.

skipshark773

Johnny,
Your best bet is an authorized radio shop. Give BearCom a call and talk to them. They will have the know-how to program your radios and will help you obtain an FCC licence. You can try to file one yourself, but it will be alot easier and less confusing if you have the shop help you out.

you can take a look at the form here if you want:

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-267207A3.pdf

Good luck!

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
Moosemedic said:
But to add a constructive answer, what's wrong with the ususal GMRS / FRS Freq's being programmed? Sure it's illegal power levels,

Harldy constructive at all, and in fact, you answer your own question. Whats wrong with it IS the illegal power levels (and GMRS freqs require a license). Geez...

SCPD

QRT
JohnnyRocket455 said:
Hello all, I just bought some new radios for my warehouse guys and I figured the programming would be easy. But none of the guys know how to do it so I'm asking for some help. I have the software and the cable, I just cannot understand this.

Sounds like a big chain yank to me.............

Status
Not open for further replies.