Programming an Input Frequency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackink

Hi all. I'm new to scanning but loving every minute of it.
I own a BCT15X and was wondering about programming in some Input frequencies.

Would I hear any talking/chatter/noise on these frequencies?

I've read up on Repeaters but I don't quite understand if they are of any use to me or if programming the "Frequency In" would produce anything on my scanner. If my understanding is correct, what I'm programming in my scanner now, frequencies from the RR Database, are Output Frequencies.

I'm located in Central Vermont, Washington County up on a hill and get good reception where I'm at. Strong radio signals with the stock antenna.

Can someone enlighten me, or direct me to a place that can help me better understand this?

Thanks and I hope your New year is going well.

Steve in Vermont

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
A repeater is essentially an amplifier. It picks up a signal, and then re-transmits it on another frequency at higher power. Making it easier for other stations to hear. If you program input frequencies you might hear some of the mobile or portable units as they transmit, but it won't be a huge advantage. You will hear them loud and clear on the output. That said, go ahead if you want, and see if you hear anything interesting. The BCT15X has a lot of frequency capacity and it might be you hear someting interesting from time to time...as fast as it scans, doubt it willl cause you to not hear something on the ouputs.

captclint

Mentor
In general, there is no point to programming inputs. The mobiles transmit to the repeater on the input, and the repeater....wait for it...repeats it.:)
There are some circumstances where it could be useful. Listening to them could tell you if mobile or portable units are in your "area". Depending on frequency and power, you would typically hear them when they were within 2-8 miles of your location, However, there is a 50-50 chance you would hear the repeater and miss them on the input just due to the "luck of the scan".

Blackink

Hi kayi4cle,
Thanks for the quick response.
In your opinion, what would "close" be?
1-2 miles? 3-4 miles?
Any idea what they mean by "line of sight"?
Do you think they mean I have to be close enough to SEE it?
I may be located higher than the surrounding area but that still doesn't mean I can "see" a repeater antenna, or tower outside my window, but I can see quite a ways off in either direction from my location.

Thanks

Blackink

Hi mass-man,
I think I might be "Highjacking" my own thread here but you made me think of something else that I wondered about.
As my scanner is scanning through my 3 conventional systems I have set up with a few groups in each of them, and as it's scanning system #1, let's say the local police in a group on system #3 starts talking, Does my scanner still pick that police talk up, or does it just keep scanning and when it "gets" to system #3, then it'll pick it up if the police are still talking?
I hope I'm explaining this so you understand what I mean.
I've tried watching the System Quick keys as they are scanned and it's hard to tell cause they get scanned through quite fast.
Thanks again,
Steve in Vermont

KD2DLL

I'm not sure what your area does, but our county fire channels also uses the inputs as a sperate channel. Like Rotterdam Fire Ops is Chennel 9, they transmit on the input channel(458.600) and it goes into the repeater and out on the output freq(453.600). Channel 10 on the radios is just the input. They use it as a simplex freq from time to time for operations on the scene of an incident. I am not sure if your area does that, but mine does so I program them in just incase.

kayi4cle

Premium Subscriber
Captclint has answered the question regarding distance. Line of sight suggests no obstructions that would preclude the signal being received by you (terrain, buildings, mountains, etc.), and it does not mean you can actually see the transmitting location itself. If you are located higher, that certainly will be helpful. Also, be aware that atmospheric conditions can sometimes interefere with reception. Hope this helps!

KD2DLL

Hi mass-man,
I think I might be "Highjacking" my own thread here but you made me think of something else that I wondered about.
As my scanner is scanning through my 3 conventional systems I have set up with a few groups in each of them, and as it's scanning system #1, let's say the local police in a group on system #3 starts talking, Does my scanner still pick that police talk up, or does it just keep scanning and when it "gets" to system #3, then it'll pick it up if the police are still talking?
I hope I'm explaining this so you understand what I mean.
I've tried watching the System Quick keys as they are scanned and it's hard to tell cause they get scanned through quite fast.
Thanks again,
Steve in Vermont

Essentially it has to wait until it gets to that system and group, but at the speed it scans, its nearly instantly, all depending on how many channels it is scanning though.

Blackink

OK people. I'm am amazed at the quick responses I'm getting here tonight regarding my questions. Besides really loving my new scanner, I love these RR Forums. The information and help you folks provide is fantastic.
And can I say "Duh!!" when I see nd5y post a link about line of sight from Wikipedia?!?
I can have a dozen tabs opened up on my browser with bits of tips on things I'm learning about in this hobby and still there's more to learn.
Thank you all again for your help and kindness.
This truly is a wonderful place to learn and understand more about the world of scanners.
Bless you all,
Steve in Vermont

KD2DLL

OK people. I'm am amazed at the quick responses I'm getting here tonight regarding my questions. Besides really loving my new scanner, I love these RR Forums. The information and help you folks provide is fantastic.
And can I say "Duh!!" when I see nd5y post a link about line of sight from Wikipedia?!?
I can have a dozen tabs opened up on my browser with bits of tips on things I'm learning about in this hobby and still there's more to learn.
Thank you all again for your help and kindness.
This truly is a wonderful place to learn and understand more about the world of scanners.
Bless you all,
Steve in Vermont

Thats what we are all here for. I didn't realize you were new, so welcome to RR! The 15X is a great scanner. I have basically the handheld version of that, the 346XT. Just curious, are you programming by hand or with freescan or such software?

Blackink

Hi alexkaczor. I don't think new is the right word to describe me and my experience with scanners. I had no clue about even how to turn one on! That would classify me as "newer than new!"
I had an itch one day that I might want one for xmas so I started Googling scanners to do research on what I might want and need for my area. I came across this Web site in my search and found the database with frequencies for this area.
I read reviews on both Radio Shack and Uniden scanners and finally decided on the BCT15X. I had no clue what I was getting into.
My biggest scare was programming one and I almost told the wife to get mine pre-programmed from Scannermaster for the county I live in here in Central Vermont, but I'm glad I didn't. She purchased the scanner and the RR Premier subscription and the USB cable all from Scannermaster.
I first used Freescan to import the conventional systems for my area into the scanner but once I studied that lay-out and pushed a few buttons on the scanner to see what it looked like "inside" the darn thing, I started programming additional conventional frequencies by hand. It's a great way to learn how they work and how the scanner works.
I just imported a trunked system into Freescan today and sent that to my scanner so now I'll study that a bit to try and figure that whole trunked system thing out. It looks a bit more demanding to understand but I'll get it soon enough.
The one thing that confuses me right off is the way it's hierarchy'd in Freescan (if that's the right word!).
I would have thought that the Confirmed/Unconfirmed LCN's with the frequencies would be before the Group listing all the talkgroups, but it's not. Seems a bit backwards to me but I'll get used to it. It's the way it has to be done with these trunked systems!!!
On another note though....I was just thinking earlier today what the equivalent handheld scanner would be for the BCT15X. I realize the BCT15X can be a mobile scanner, but I'd like to leave it set up in the house and get another more portable Uniden scanner to take with me when I do travel about.
I hadn't done any research on that yet but you can bet I'll be looking at the 346XT.
Eventually I'll get an outside antenna for the BCT15X, but it's winter here and it's damn cold outside now, too cold to install any outside anything as far as I'm concerned!!!
Thanks for the tip on the 346XT....I'll be Googling that next!
Later,
Steve in Vermont

KD2DLL

Just curious, is it the BCT15X or the BCT15XT? Its a great hobby to get into. I started with a cheap Uniden 72XLT and then upgraded to the 346XT. I still use the 72XLT though, thats what is used for my live feed! Then my obsession for the hobby got to the point where I went and got a Motorola Minitor 5 and programmed in a few of the local depts so I always know when they get a call. I've basically gotten to the point where I like need to know whats going on around me.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Hey Steve, greetings from Dallas where it is a bit warmer, but too cold for me! Glad to have you around...

Blackink

mass-man,
Thank you for the welcome.
34 degrees is a bit nippy for down there eh?!?
I wish it was 34 degrees here right now, but it's -9 degrees here now in East Montpelier......and dropping like a rock!
Burrrrrrr!

Welcome

Steve,

Wow! It's nice to see somebody who has done his homework and is willing to learn by doing and reading rather than type questions about every tiny step. You are well on your way. Yes, you'll notice you see many of the same questions asked over and over. Granted, the new scanners have a steep learning curve.

Radio Reference provides a powerful resource, both through the database and via the forums. People enjoy helping others and you see that already. I couldn't resist chiming in to say "Welcome". Consider yourself a success story.

2 Hints:

1) Make sure you get at least 3 hours sleep each night and
2) Buy a pillow speaker!

Status
Not open for further replies.