Programming Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
Is the BCD396XT programming cable proprietary or can I buy a cable locally?

Thanks.

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
Okay. What type of cable would I have to buy? Possibly from Radio Shack.

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
396 uses a mini usb connector..go to pinout.ru and look for the pin out diagram for the cable OR look at ScannerMaster, They sell it.. The link is in the banner ad at the top of the page

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
Uniden USB Cable (BC246/396/330/230/95/996/15/XT)
Our Price: $29.95

Works for the BC95XLT, SC230, BC246T, BR330, BC346XT, BCT15, BCT15X, BCD996T and BCD996XT

Product Code: 01-551038

Its under accessories....

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Is the BCD396XT programming cable proprietary or can I buy a cable locally?

Thanks.

The USB-1 is Uniden's cable for programming your scanner.

Uniden USB Cable

The connector on the scanner is NOT a mini-USB. It's not proprietary, but it's not very common either... it's used on some digital cameras etc.

The programming port on the 396XT is RS232 serial data, not USB. The Uniden cable has the necessary serial to USB adaptor built in so it can be used with a USB port.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I believe there are two different types of cables that can be used for programming the 96 Series scanners.

One is the cable that comes with the scanner. One end of it plugs into the side port, the other end is a RS 232 DB9 connector (old serial cable end).

Since most computers in use today no longer have the RS 232 Serial Ports, Uniden created the USB-1 programming cable. That cable has a USB end, a chipset in the middle for communications purposes and the connector that fits on the side port of the scanner.

Here's the hitch. The USB-1 cables have the HXA series chipset. That chipset doesn't play well with Windows 8.x. Rather the later HXD chipset is needed.

So what some folks using Windows 8.x, including me, have done is to get a USB to Serial Port Adapter with the HXD chipset. Then the original programming cable that came with the scanner can be used. Amazon sells these USB to Serial Port adapters for about $15.00.

The cable noted in the above link has the correct end that goes into the side port of the scanner. But the RS 232 DB 9 end is Male end where the original programming cable is a Female end. (Nothing that can't be fixed with a gender adapter however and it's possible a null modem adapter may be needed).

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Currently shipping USB-1 cables use the HXD chipset (starting around May, 2013).

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Currently shipping USB-1 cables use the HXD chipset (starting around May, 2013).

That's a good thing! I've been wondering if Uniden was going to do that (http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-thread-archives/268054-usb-1-cable-hxd-chipset.html) and it looks like the time I began to wonder, they did.

With that in mind, is there a way of easily telling whether the USB-1 cable has the HXA or HXD chipset? Since I don't throw cables away, I'm sure I'll mix them up and won't know which is which unless there is something on the cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.