SDS100/SDS200: Programming for dummies sds-100

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was gifted a sds-100 for Christmas and I am computer stupid lol

I did the zip code option but I’m picking up stuff outside of the area I want to listen to.

example I want to listen to Macomb county and focus on Clinton Township.

Im getting that but also detroit, msp and other areas I don’t want to listen to .

So is there a way to set it up so it only picks up the areas I want to listen to?

Thanks

Rich

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
Merry Christmas indeed!
There's a couple ways you could go:
Keep using the zip code and adjust your range setting to 1 or even 0.
Or:
Build a Favorites List of exactly what you want to listen to.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
I was gifted a sds-100 for Christmas and I am computer stupid lol

I did the zip code option but I’m picking up stuff outside of the area I want to listen to.

example I want to listen to Macomb county and focus on Clinton Township.

Im getting that but also detroit, msp and other areas I don’t want to listen to .

So is there a way to set it up so it only picks up the areas I want to listen to?

Thanks

Rich
On the radio, you can create a favorites list of what's currently scanning and then use Sentinel to READ from the radio. Once it's read in, delete the departments you are not interested in and write that back to the radio. On startup, only load that favorite list, not the nationwide database.

That's the "easiest" way to quickly do what you are asking.

Read over the manual on creating favorites lists from what you are currently scanning (via zip code) first just to get an idea of the process

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
One of the best resources for you to crawl up the 100's learning curve is right here.

The philosophy many of us have here is 'teach a man to fish...'.
Meaning those here will help to to figure stuff out by gladly showing HOW to do things, not do them for you.

One last note: Radio Reference (RR) has a great search function. Always try to search first to see if you can find what you ae looking for. Then if you still can't find it, you will get much better help here if you try to make an effort first...

And.... welcome to the club!!

Randyk4661

Premium Subscriber
Another thing I will mention here is that the range of each department you want to monitor may be set to cover an entire county (in the settings) even if they have a small footprint in their jurisdiction, this will cause you to hear more than you are looking for.
Work on making favorite lists and leave zip code monitoring to traveling.

One of the best resources for you to crawl up the 100's learning curve is right here.

The philosophy many of us have here is 'teach a man to fish...'.
Meaning those here will help to to figure stuff out by showing HOW to do things, not do them for you.

One last note: Radio Reference (RR) has a great search function. Always try to search first to see if you can find what you ae looking for. Then if you still can't find it, you will get much better help if you make an effort first...
I’m not asking for someone to do it for me, just looking for pointers on where to start!

Im all about figuring it out and doing to leg work just need the “point me in the right direction “ help

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
If you haven't already download the free sentinel software, it makes programming a lot easier. I would also suggest looking at the manual made by marks scanners, it's easier to use and more detailed than the Uniden Manual.

FYI, if it's your first time programming a scanner with a P25 system you'll have a bit of a learning curve. It's not due to the scanner itself, it's due to the underlying complexity of P25 trunked systems. But the SDS100 is a great product. You will end up loving it.

hunterca

SDS100, BCD325P2
Premium Subscriber
Look up videos on YouTube from "The Scanner guys" or from "the scanner school", these will help you with the learning curve.
And one last thing, learn one thing at a time not all at once, this will save your sanity.
Another one is "Boy and A Scanner"

Status
Not open for further replies.