• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Programming G5 to Alert me for certain departments.

Junior54B

Premium Subscriber
I'm trying to figure this out. How can I program my Unication G5 to Alert if my department goes out for a call? Like if my department goes out for a fire call I want it to go off, I don't want it to go off. Kind of like the Minitor 6 I have. I have a channel on there "My Department All Call", it only goes off when my department gets a call & that's it, nothing else.
The Minitor 6 was programmed by someone at my Fire Department that is no longer apart of the fire department or even in the state so I can't ask him to do it.

hazrat8990

Premium Subscriber
Are they paged out on analog, or P25? Do you know the frequencies for the 2-tone pair? I can help you, but I need some info. Feel free to send me a PM if you wish.

Junior54B

Premium Subscriber
Are they paged out on analog, or P25? Do you know the frequencies for the 2-tone pair? I can help you, but I need some info. Feel free to send me a PM if you wish.
I'm honestly not to sure, I'm new to this programming stuff. I was given the radio from a friend who doesn't have a use for it anymore. How do I found out what my departments paged out on & what the frequencies are for the 2 tone pair.

engine183

Check the Wiki page for your specific location. If you need help, provide state, city and county, also the name of the department.

Junior54B

Premium Subscriber
Check the Wiki page for your specific location. If you need help, provide state, city and county, also the name of the department.
PA, Montgomery County, Upper Providence Fire Department & Pottstown Fire Department

engine183

It appears that Upper Providence Township and Pottstown Borough have moved to the (PA) Montgomery County (P25) System. I'm not aware how to or if Fire Tone outs can be done on a 800 P25 Trunked system using your G5.

It appears that about 12 departments do a rebroadcast from the P25 system. Please check out this page on RR to see if any of these are what you are looking for:
Montgomery County, Pennsylvania

Here is one example:

1720316563184.png

You might ask the moderator if this question could be moved to the PA/ Montgomery County forum.

hazrat8990

Premium Subscriber
If you can't get the frequencies for the tone pair, you can just program the site(s) and TG for the department and monitor things that way. The pager won't have any kind of special alert, but you will be able to monitor the TG the same as you would with a scanner.

Junior54B

Premium Subscriber
If you can't get the frequencies for the tone pair, you can just program the site(s) and TG for the department and monitor things that way. The pager won't have any kind of special alert, but you will be able to monitor the TG the same as you would with a scanner.
I found a forum here on Radio Reference that has almost all of the Countys tone on it.
Would these be the tones I would need for the tone pair?1721247447864.png

hazrat8990

Premium Subscriber
Each tone pair will need to be programmed into the sub group on tab E2.
Screenshot 2024-07-17 143836.png

Once the popup window opens, you need to select the tone range that your specific tone best matches. If it is on a phase 2, or hybrid system, you will need to program the tone ranges into both. If you're unsure on system type, just program for both types.

Screenshot 2024-07-17 144052.png

Junior54B

Premium Subscriber
Each tone pair will need to be programmed into the sub group on tab E2.
View attachment 166001

Once the popup window opens, you need to select the tone range that your specific tone best matches. If it is on a phase 2, or hybrid system, you will need to program the tone ranges into both. If you're unsure on system type, just program for both types.

View attachment 166002
Alright. Thank you. So in the Alert Mode/Tone Sections, if I have it selected to tone & vibrate, it'll play the selected tone in the Alert Tone Section & Vibrate when the departments that I put in there get dispatched out for a call correct?

hazrat8990

Premium Subscriber
Alright. Thank you. So in the Alert Mode/Tone Sections, if I have it selected to tone & vibrate, it'll play the selected tone in the Alert Tone Section & Vibrate when the departments that I put in there get dispatched out for a call correct?
It will alert any which way you tell it to. I would advise that you set up alerts only for the sub-groups and set the regular TGID's to Tone and None for regular scanning.
Screenshot 2024-07-17 174352.png

Screenshot 2024-07-17 174715.png

Junior54B

Premium Subscriber
It will alert any which way you tell it to. I would advise that you set up alerts only for the sub-groups and set the regular TGID's to Tone and None for regular scanning.
View attachment 166017

View attachment 166018
I have it set up like that. Tone & Vib & Tone 8 on the Sub-Groups & the tone & none on the Talk Group but when the department was dispatched it didn't vibrate or play the tone I selected. I used the site I previously linked to find the tone freq.

hazrat8990

Premium Subscriber
If it didn't alert, either the tones are not correct, or you didn't set up any sub-groups on the channel knob itself.

Screenshot 2024-07-17 222539.png
Screenshot 2024-07-17 222717.png
Screenshot 2024-07-17 222821.png
Screenshot 2024-07-17 222911.png

Junior54B

Premium Subscriber

hazrat8990

Premium Subscriber
If the TG plays tones but doesn't alert, the tones are either wrong, or the Digital Tone Detect feature on tab E8 is not enabled. If you have voice storage set up on the knob itself, you can playback the recordings and decode tone frequencies by using an app on your phone, or on a computer by using Audacity.

Everything I'm seeing from your screenshots seems to be in order, but something has been overlooked somewhere. If you want, you can send me your profile via PM, and I'll take a look to see if there's anything obvious. You just need to export it, convert to a .zip file and attach it to the message.

Junior54B

Premium Subscriber
If the TG plays tones but doesn't alert, the tones are either wrong, or the Digital Tone Detect feature on tab E8 is not enabled. If you have voice storage set up on the knob itself, you can playback the recordings and decode tone frequencies by using an app on your phone, or on a computer by using Audacity.

Everything I'm seeing from your screenshots seems to be in order, but something has been overlooked somewhere. If you want, you can send me your profile via PM, and I'll take a look to see if there's anything obvious. You just need to export it, convert to a .zip file and attach it to the message.
I've sent you a PM with the profile attached as a .zip file